Creating memory hole?

Post by Nils Faerbe » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks!
I have a problem with a notebook of mine.
The dumb BIOS copies itself to a location at the end of the addressable RAM
area. In my case, I have 20MB installed, the last 128kB of the 16th MB are
used and blocked with it.
I can now use it when I tell the kernel to have mem="16MB-128kB" but I would
really like to use the last 4MB too! So would have to tell the kernel not to
use those 128kB. But how?
I remember that there is such a possibility for some strange cards that
occupy some RAM area some something but forgot how to do it.

Please help! Any hints, even FAQ pointers, are welcome!
CU
  nils

--

Student of computer science      http://www.si.unix-ag.org/~nils/
Unix user group, University of Siegen, Germany

Siegen ... the arctic rain forest!
--

1. Do I create a security hole?

Hi,
        I'm on a little project just for fun. It involve Apache and PHP.
I'm just wondering about something.

For this project I would have to create some files in the apache chroot that
are readable and writable by the www user. I was looking at the httpd man
page and I've find this.

---
For this option to remain secure, it is important that no files or
directories writeable by user www or group www are created inside the
ServerRoot.
---

Of course it make sens, but what can I do if my PHP script need to write
some files on the HD? I guess if my script is compromise, it would be
possible to erase the content of these files...

I would like to have some opinions and/or ideas on this.

Thanks,
Jean-Philippe

P.S.: I'm running OpenBSD 3.2 with Apache 1.3.26

2. Comparing Two Files together

3. iptables - ESTABLISHED creates ssh/telnet/ftp/... hole ?

4. Is it possible to remove a print spool file using C?

5. Visual Studio.NET creates security holes

6. wierd random ipchain rule

7. Do I create a security hole?

8. 2nd CD-ROM changer not recognized as such

9. Solaris Security Hole -- uudecode can create SUID files

10. Copying files with holes in them, without filling the holes

11. Security Hole on webservers run on variuos OS, How to close UNIS hole

12. Black Hole / Sink Hole Routing