benchmarking discussion at Usenix?

Post by Larry McV » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'll be at Usenix and I thought I might put together a little BOF to discuss
benchmarking issues, if people are interested.  Topics could include

        . lmbench 2.0 changes
                - finer grain accuracy
                - web benchmarks
                - scaling/load
                - multi pointer memory latency
        . osbench
                - Steve Kleiman suggested that I (or someone) grab a big hunk
                 of OS code and port it to userland and call it osbench.  This
                 is an interesting idea.
        . freespec
                - I'm unhappy about the current spec.  I'd like to build a
                  freeSpec97 that is similar to spec (uses the same tests)
                  but has lmbench style reporting rules (cc -O/f77 -O) and
                  is free of any charges.  Any interest?
        . others?

Let me know if you want me to find some space so we can talk at Usenix.
--
---

Post by Albert D. Cahal » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>   . freespec
>       - I'm unhappy about the current spec.  I'd like to build a
>         freeSpec97 that is similar to spec (uses the same tests)
>         but has lmbench style reporting rules (cc -O/f77 -O) and
>         is free of any charges.  Any interest?

That is junk because "cc" could be my script to call gcc with my
choice of options. I could also hack the gcc default config file
to do stange and wonderful things by default.

Good rule: the same set of options (including the compiler) must be used
for all tests, such options must be reported, no option may specify
the name of an identifier within the test suite, and no option may
cause the compiler to detect the test suite and substitute other code.

Albert Cahalan
acahalan at cs.uml.edu (no junk mail please - I will hunt you down)

1. benchmarking discussion at Usenix?

(I posted this before, I thought, but it seems to have disappeared into a
black hole...)

[...]

2. Porting applications from Unix to NT...

3. USENIX roomshare (see comp.org.usenix.roomshare)

4. XFree86 Issues

5. Welcome to NetBSD discussion forums, message boards

6. Reading audio format CDs?

7. Message list font in Netscape Mail&Discussion

8. iostream.h and SLList.h - where?

9. securing shell accounts discussion

10. Old Discussions on NewsGroup

11. Discussion: FS tree for large packages

12. Discussion on Syslog Configuration

13. Permission Discussion