JAVA is hype. ** Http filesystems ** is the holy

Post by Chris Rigs » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I suspect all these things about JAVA is just hype. How useful Java
>might be is yet to be seen.

Have you actually done any reading on what JAVA is an how it works?
The purpose of JAVA, to provide truly cross-platform compatible
binaries to any platform with an implementation of the JAVA
interpreter could solve a whole BUNCH of todays worst computing
problems if enough people catch on and start using it.  Since NETSCAPE
has incorporated a JAVA interpreter, and helped create JAVAScript,
it's say it might catch on/

Quote:>If the whole purpose of Java is to bring intelligence into the Web
>Browser, then it surely misses the point.

JAVAScript is designed for the Web browser, JAVA was not.

Java is not an attempt to bring intelligence into a Web browser.  It's
a method of providing cross-platform compatible programs that just
happens to work fairly well over the web.

I invite you to do a little more reading on the subject.

--Chris

Post by Alastair J Nei » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> > >I suspect all these things about JAVA is just hype. How useful Java
> > >might be is yet to be seen.

> > Have you actually done any reading on what JAVA is an how it works?
> > The purpose of JAVA, to provide truly cross-platform compatible
> > binaries to any platform with an implementation of the JAVA
> > interpreter could solve a whole BUNCH of todays worst computing
> > problems if enough people catch on and start using it.

> How is this much different than using, say, Tcl/Tk or Python?  In each
> case you have a portable program.  All you need is a ported interpreter.

> > Since NETSCAPE
> > has incorporated a JAVA interpreter, and helped create JAVAScript,
> > it's say it might catch on/

> Further, since Bill Gates has given his holy blessing (like he had a choice...),
> it may well catch on.

Bill Gates agreeing to support something and Bill Gates actually endorsing
something are two different things.  Knowing Gates he'll have his code drones
write the Java interpreter in Visual Basic - and then whine to the world about
how poor the performance is.

--
Ich habe Dinge gesehen, die ihr Menschen niemals glauben wuerdet. Gigantische
Schiffe, die brannten draussen vor der Schulter des Orion. Und ich habe C-Beams

Post by Geir Magnusson Jr » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >I suspect all these things about JAVA is just hype. How useful Java
> >might be is yet to be seen.

> Have you actually done any reading on what JAVA is an how it works?
> The purpose of JAVA, to provide truly cross-platform compatible
> binaries to any platform with an implementation of the JAVA
> interpreter could solve a whole BUNCH of todays worst computing
> problems if enough people catch on and start using it.

How is this much different than using, say, Tcl/Tk or Python?  In each
case you have a portable program.  All you need is a ported interpreter.

Quote:> Since NETSCAPE
> has incorporated a JAVA interpreter, and helped create JAVAScript,
> it's say it might catch on/

Further, since Bill Gates has given his holy blessing (like he had a choice...),
it may well catch on.

geir

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Linux's annoying sleep mode/screen saver

3. Correct Trademark Citation for UNIX

5. 2.5 fix link with fbcon built-in

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. account without a password

11. I am si**y am I?

12. JAVA is hype. ** Http filesystems ** is the holy grail.