Xavier Leroy's LinuxThreads

Post by Kazinato » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have developed some patches to LT 0.2---both bugfixes and some performance
enhancement.

Leroy has informed me that there won't be a bugfix release until September.

Hopefully my changes (or alternative, equivalent changes done by Leroy) will
be rapidly incorporated into a 0.3 version then.

If you really need LT *now*, send me e-mail. Rants, requests, anything.

I really want LinuxThreads to be a smashing success.

So far, my tests indicate that it works great! Under SMP too. I don't
have the POSIX documentation to do any sort of verification against the specs
though.

It's really awesome: unrestricted use of blocking I/O, shared file
descriptors, *SMP*...

Best of all, thanks to the kernel mechanisms, the LT package is very small
and easy to install! What a pleasuer.

I hope some of my enthusiasm for kernel threads starts to rub off on other
Linuxers!

- Kaz

Post by Michael Dingle » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I have developed some patches to LT 0.2---both bugfixes and some performance
> enhancement.

> Leroy has informed me that there won't be a bugfix release until September.

> Hopefully my changes (or alternative, equivalent changes done by Leroy) will
> be rapidly incorporated into a 0.3 version then.

> If you really need LT *now*, send me e-mail. Rants, requests, anything.

> I really want LinuxThreads to be a smashing success.

> So far, my tests indicate that it works great! Under SMP too. I don't
> have the POSIX documentation to do any sort of verification against the specs
> though.

> It's really awesome: unrestricted use of blocking I/O, shared file
> descriptors, *SMP*...

> Best of all, thanks to the kernel mechanisms, the LT package is very small
> and easy to install! What a pleasuer.

> I hope some of my enthusiasm for kernel threads starts to rub off on other
> Linuxers!

> - Kaz

Do you know a good book on programming with threads?

I'd like to do it, but the topic is a little crypic...

Xavier Leroy's LinuxThreads

Post by Kazinato » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Do you know a good book on programming with threads?

>I'd like to do it, but the topic is a little crypic...

No. I went to school for that. Avoided expensive texts like the plague
unless they were good. Where I studied, we did a lot of coding: implementing
various add-on features to an existing threading library, plus writing
a treaded talk application. In the advanced course, it was all embedded
hacking rather than threads under UNIX, but very similar.

Basically, any book on operating systems concepts, with a focus on concurrent
programming, ought to do, if you can tailor the exercises to your programming
environment.

Post by gordon beat » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Do you know a good book on programming with threads?
> I'd like to do it, but the topic is a little crypic...

Have a look at the FAQ for comp.programming.threads, available at

http://www.sun.com/
sunsoft/Products/Developer-products/sig/threads/index.html

There are a couple of good books listed there. You will also find that
all of the authors are active on that newsgroup.

/gordon

--
gordon beaton                            machine unreadable email address:

uppsala university
uppsala, sweden

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I have developed some patches to LT 0.2---both bugfixes and some performance
>enhancement.

>Leroy has informed me that there won't be a bugfix release until September.

>Hopefully my changes (or alternative, equivalent changes done by Leroy) will
>be rapidly incorporated into a 0.3 version then.

>If you really need LT *now*, send me e-mail. Rants, requests, anything.

>I really want LinuxThreads to be a smashing success.

>So far, my tests indicate that it works great! Under SMP too. I don't
>have the POSIX documentation to do any sort of verification against the specs
>though.

>It's really awesome: unrestricted use of blocking I/O, shared file
>descriptors, *SMP*...

>Best of all, thanks to the kernel mechanisms, the LT package is very small
>and easy to install! What a pleasuer.

>I hope some of my enthusiasm for kernel threads starts to rub off on other
>Linuxers!

Hi,

        I'm interested in playing around with this library a little bit.
Do you know of any WWW or FTP site where I can get the library and/or
your patches?
        Thanks.

Quote:>- Kaz

--Arthur

1. Question about 'LinuxThreads'

Apologies to anyone who doesn't think this belongs in an advocacy
forum...

I am after some information on programming with threads, for Linux.
Actually, I'm quite interested in the implementation of threads for the
Unices in general, since it seems that the relatively recent adoption of
this multitasking model is one of the few technical areas where Unix
falls behind the likes of NT.

What is the difference between the so called 'PosixThreads' and
'LinuxThreads', 'SolarisThreads', and whatever other permutations exist?
Are the latter all compatible implementations of the former, or has each
Unix vendor invented their own proprietry technique?

I'm running Linux, kernel 2.0.29. I'm not even entirely sure whether
this particular build actually supports threads at all (do please
clarify this!). Assuming it does, where can I get hold of information
about such programming? I'm not really keen on buying a book on it, I'd
rather download some roughly put together text file and/or a working
example or two; that'd be plenty sufficient.

Any answers much appreciated.
--
                     .--------------------------.

  | my request. .-----------------------------------------------------+-'
  `-------------+ God Damn the Spammer Man! May Hell be made to exist |
                | just for him, and may his tender bits be roasted    |
                | slowly while his teeth are rendered to stumps with  |
                | a rusty nailfile. .---------------------------------'
                `-------------------'

2. does Linux support internal/external Ditto tape drive?

3. gdb can't start linuxthreads

4. Please don't flame me, but...

5. I can't get linuxthreads installed.

6. Line disconnected...

7. LinuxThreads+signals => SIGSEGV in system call?

8. Sending an email from the unix command prompt.

9. linuxthread manager and SIGINT

10. Status of linuxthreads

11. XNextEvent and LinuxThreads

12. LinuxThreads???

13. <defuct> and linuxthread ( a bit long)