makewhatis

Post by Lynn R. Ziegle » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I tried using makewhatis last night on my linux box and had some strange
results. I first made a copy of my whatis file (WHEW!!) and then ran
makewhatis.
When I did, it came back very quickly - a surprise, since I have run makewhatis
on Sun's and SGI's and it takes a LONG time to build - and when I looked, the
whatis file was about 39k. This is very difficult to believe since I have
removed nothing from my slackware full installation and have added MUCH! I
checked the MANPATH and it seemed ok. What is going on?

--
Lynn R. Ziegler             Phone: (612) 363-3083

St. John's University       Home Page: http://bingen.cs.csbsju.edu/~lziegler/
Collegeville, MN 56321      CSB/SJU Home Page: http://www.csbsju.edu/

makewhatis

Post by Zenon Fortu » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I tried using makewhatis last night on my linux box and had some strange
>results. I first made a copy of my whatis file (WHEW!!) and then ran
>makewhatis.
>When I did, it came back very quickly - a surprise, since I have run makewhatis
>on Sun's and SGI's and it takes a LONG time to build - and when I looked, the
>whatis file was about 39k. This is very difficult to believe since I have
>removed nothing from my slackware full installation and have added MUCH! I
>checked the MANPATH and it seemed ok. What is going on?

It seems that the makewhatis has problems.
Christopher Neufeld ("just a graduate student" from Toronto) worked on this
script to correct it. He placed the corrected version at

        ftp://caliban.physics.utoronto.ca/pub/makewhatis

I did not include it in the SimpleFixes2.2.0 (a list of fixable bugs of the
Slackware, kept at ftp.necom.com:/pub/ze/zenon/linux/tmp) because ...
the Christopher's fixes were not *so simple*. :)

        Zenon

1. Don't run the makewhatis command from SLS

[I can't verify this, but I'll trust Thomas. --mdw]

A word of warning to all who have installed the SLS distribution:

Do NOT run /usr/lib/makewhatis as distributed on SLS.  It will
clobber your whatis database, making the man -k command unusable.

The reason for this is simple:  Most man pages that come with SLS come
in the /usr/man/cat?  directories, which means that they have already
been preformatted.  The version of makewhatis distributed with SLS does
not recognize these; you need the man - pages in normal format in the
/usr/man/man? - dirs.

If you install new manpages, rename your whatis database to something
else, run makewhatis, then concatenate the two and save them back
into whatis (you may also run them through sort -u to make sure you
don't get duplicates).

Happy hacking
--

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
logarithmic diagram.

--

2. clock speed

3. 'apropos' and 'makewhatis'..

4. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

5. updatedb & makewhatis.cron

6. Puzzler

7. makewhatis: Why is the shell script from hell???

8. Linux and Adaptec RAIDport

9. makewhatis fails.

10. BSD man page format friendly makewhatis/catman -w

11. Newbie: pstree, slocate, mingetty, makewhatis and gawk

12. makewhatis problem

13. Makewhatis(1) doesn't know about InfoExplorer?