Linux Kernel development

Post by Nix » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:26:50

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a step-by-step instruction
guide on using the Linux kernel to develop an operating system. Anyone?

-Nix

PS: Thanks in advance!

Linux Kernel development

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:46:10

Quote:> I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a step-by-step
> instruction guide on using the Linux kernel to develop an operating
> system. Anyone?

Depending on point of view, the Linux kernel /is/ an operating system,
so this would commonly be regarded as a silly thing to do.  Download
Linux; you get an operating system.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxkernel.html
They have finally found the most ultimately useless thing on the web...

Linux Kernel development

Post by Joshua Jone » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:03:56

> Depending on point of view, the Linux kernel /is/ an operating system,
> so this would commonly be regarded as a silly thing to do.  Download
> Linux; you get an operating system.

As you said, this depends on one's point of view... however, download
just the Linux kernel, and try to do anything useful with it.  Without
something so basic as a useful shell, how can it be called an OS?

--
 Joshua Jones
 josh(at)homemail.com  |  jonesjos(at)us.ibm.com

Linux Kernel development

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:40:12

>> Depending on point of view, the Linux kernel /is/ an operating system,
>> so this would commonly be regarded as a silly thing to do.  Download
>> Linux; you get an operating system.

> As you said, this depends on one's point of view... however, download
> just the Linux kernel, and try to do anything useful with it.  Without
> something so basic as a useful shell, how can it be called an OS?

If the goal of a project is to run a program to [control some device],
then there may never be a user, a screen, or any of the stuff you
usually anticipate.

For all we know, the O.P. may want to do /exactly that/.
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxkernel.html
"La Cicciolina [...]  Electing her was an interesting  contrast to the

Linux Kernel development

Post by jonat.. » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:13:11

> Hi!
> I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a step-by-step instruction
> guide on using the Linux kernel to develop an operating system. Anyone?

Hi,

Download the kernel source and read through the assembly codes for the
various platforms available. Basically, you need to go through the
booting process, loading in the descriptor table,... etc. etc.

There is also a series of articles from linuxgazzette.com that describes
how you can write your own O/S.

I am also interested in developing my own embedded device, just that I
lack knowledge on hardware stuff. :~|

--
regards,
jon k.

"the truth is out there"

1. Linux kernel development going too fast?

First of all don't get me wrong. I like the way Linux kernels are
released , and above all , the speed in which security exploits are
fixed. But , aren't we going a little too fast? It seems to me that
Linux kernels are released too fast for someone to cope with. Unless
you have a lot of time to waste , you cannot keep up to date with the
kernel. I think that kernels should be released slightly slower ( i am
talking about patch versions).This will allow developers to test their
code a little more ,and before the kernel is deemed "stable" , fix the
very obvious bugs. Real rapid kernel changes should normally only
happen when there is a security exploit. Then a new kernel can be
released ,without having anything more than the previous one; just the
fixed security exploit. Then stable kernels will be stable , and
development development.

2. Can't connect to internet and one other problem

3. Linux Kernel Development Report [1]

4. Linux cannot see > 16MB RAM!!

5. information about Linux kernel development process

6. tcp port rlogin

7. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

8. Red Hat Linux Upgrade

9. linux kernel IDE development process question

10. Periodic Timers in Linux Kernel module development?

11. what is the url for the linux-ppc kernel development?

12. Linux development kernel gets Bluetooth

13. Kernel development option while Linux installation