Cyrix CPUs and heat

Post by Bruce Perens AB6 » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'm told the Cyrix CPUs can dissipate 24 watts, so heat is a problem.
It was a problem with old Pentium chips, too.
Another problem is that your BIOS might not engage the power-saving
features of the Cyrix CPU. One of our new Debian maintainers just
uploaded a hack to turn them on if your BIOS doesn't.

        Thanks

        Bruce

Cyrix CPUs and heat

Post by Stephen Kit » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> There is an rc.cyrix that comes with set6x86 that seems to help
> a lot but as of this evening I have underclocked the CPU due
> to other environmental circumstances that have nothing to do
> with Linux, programs, or the BIOS and everything to do with the
> physical location of my system and its proximity to a heater duct.

> Anyone know where I can find cyrix patches for the old 1.2.13 kernel?

I don't think kernel patches for 1.x exist at all. set6x86 should
compile and work, so you could use that, or upgrade to 2.0.29 and get
the latest Cyrix patch for that (note though that VSPM doesn't work on
2.0.29; it does on 2.1.x though). I know upgrading from 1.x to 2.x is
a bit of a hassle, but it's worth it in the end...

Stephen

--
Stephen Kitt, Edinburgh University; my views are my own
Email: s.kitt at ed.ac.uk; web: http://omni.bus.ed.ac.uk/skk

1. Kernel panic with Cyrix Cx486 S25 CPU (similar to U5 CPU panic)

He resolved his problem by installing an Intel CPU.

I have a Cyrix Cx486 S25 FasCache (Cx486S-25GP) processor that fails in
the same way.  The messages are:
   math_emulate: 0010:0010ebb4
   Kernel panic: Math emulation required in kernel
   In swapper task - not syncing

The kernel should have math emulation support.  It's the same kernel that
I use on a AMD 386SX/25.  I've also tried the boot/root image diskettes--
similar results.  I'm running Linux 1.0.8.

Any ideas?  TIA.
Paul.

2. Help for Beginners

3. CPU heat (was Re: Die Netscape Die)

4. Problems getting some kinf of CD player working

5. Strange case: floppy access heat up CPU

6. /sbin/ldconfig: can't open etc/ld.so.cache~ (Read-Only file system)

7. CPU over heating! Help please!

8. Unix networking

9. CPU with good uptime, low energy usage and low heat

10. CPU over heating! Please help!

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Linux and AMD/Cyrix CPU

13. Will Linux run on Cyrix CPU?