How to program a linux shell

Post by Marco D?hrin » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 08:44:12

Hi!
I want to program my own linux shell but I don't know anything about it.
Are there some websites with tutorials, hints, etc.?

Thx for your help!

Marco

How to program a linux shell

Post by Christopher Brown » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:07:51

> I want to program my own linux shell but I don't know anything about
> it.  Are there some websites with tutorials, hints, etc.?

You would presumably want to look into the literature of language
design, and tools like flex, bison, and such.  You might want to look
into some of the existing scripting languages for ideas, such as:

  Perl, Python, Bash, Korn Shell, es, esh, eshell, rc, Rexx, Tcl,
  tcsh, sash, scsh, psh, zsh.

I am fairly skeptical that there's much new to be offered when people
seldom take advantage of terribly much of the power offered by the
existing shells.

For instance, es is academically fairly interesting, offering the
ability to radically alter the semantics while it's running.  This
hasn't led to radical alterations in how people use shell
programming...
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/scripting.html
"Free software: the Source will be with you, always."

How to program a linux shell

Post by Kasper Dupon » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:08:20

> Hi!
> I want to program my own linux shell but I don't know anything about it.
> Are there some websites with tutorials, hints, etc.?

Take a look on pshell. I just found a copy and dropped
it here: http://www.daimi.au.dk/~kasperd/pshell/

--
Kasper Dupont

How to program a linux shell

Post by Rain » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:06:40

> I want to program my own linux shell but I don't know anything about it.
> Are there some websites with tutorials, hints, etc.?

do `info libc' and go to `Job Control'.  I think anything not mentioned
there (like parsing, etc.) are mostly algorithmic things.

How to program a linux shell

Post by R Smit » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 04:52:18

> Hi!
> I want to program my own linux shell but I don't know anything about it.
> Are there some websites with tutorials, hints, etc.?

> Thx for your help!

> Marco

There's a good book on that subject called "Linux Application
Developement" by Michael Johnson and Erik Troan - two pretty
big names from Red Hat. Troan was a primary author of rpm and
Johnson helped found the Linux Documentation Project.

How to program a linux shell

Post by Marco D?hrin » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:10:39

> Take a look on pshell. I just found a copy and dropped
> it here: http://www.daimi.au.dk/~kasperd/pshell/

Thx for the files :-)

1. Installing custom shells Was Re: Csh Programming Considered Harmful - comp.unix.shell #10160 (fwd)

|> I admit ignorancy here:  Would it be "bad" if I were to compile and
|> run a shell in my user directory?  (For example, if I were to get the
|> source for zsh, and compile and run it in ~jfine/bin/zsh.)  Do shell
|> programs need to be in /usr/bin for special permissions?

   A colleague of mine installed tcsh on some of our Suns (she did it
   in the canonical place /usr/bin or /bin as root since she wanted some of
   her students to use it too)
   Later she discovered that she could not telnet into her account from
   remote until she "registered" tcsh in a file /etc/shells

   So I suppose you must be root to do this.

   BTW I regard as a pain the fact that most public domain utilities
   want to be installed (or some auxiliary files to be installed) in
   places like /usr/local or its subdirectories. [this comment does not
   necessarily apply to shells, which IMHO are of a higher rank than
   a mere utility]
   I'd like in general not needing to be root to install something !

--
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR Milano        |         U N I C U I Q U E
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano - Italy    |          System  Manager

Decnet:   IFCTR::LUCIO (39610::LUCIO)      |

2. Iomega external USB 80Gb HDD, 3ware RAID CARD... big problems!

3. programming program or shell for gcc ?

4. usb mouse doesn't work when using recompiled 2.4.9 kernel

5. How to program a shell '#!<program>' statement.

7. Shell Programming Program

8. Installing FreeBSD 4.5 in a laptop

9. I wanna Program = "shell to C program"

10. Executing a program (shell script) from within a c program

11. Need a shell program to print return value of a program

12. How to write a C-shell program to print return value of a program

13. :C-shell program that prints return value of a program