Problems with 1.3.39 - 1.3.41 compile

Post by Steve Harbe » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm running GCC 2.7.0, libc 5.2.12, 486DX100.

I started running into problems compiling 1.3.39. After doing a make
zdisk, I booted from the floppy and just after the Loading message I
got this:

0201
AX:020c
BX:000
CX:007
DX:000
0201

This repeated itself infinately. I thought maybe it was the floppy,
so I copied the zImage file to my Dos partition and tried loadlin.
Loadlin reported that it was not a kernel image file.

I recompiled from scratch and 1.3.39 worked fine.

Now I'm getting the same thing with 1.3.41. It compiles without
errors or warnings, but booting from the floppy gives me a similar
message:

1007
AX:020c
BX:000
CX:007
DX:000
1007

I'm still booting 1.3.39 (the last good compile I had), but I'm
curious about what might be causing this error.

Steve

Problems with 1.3.39 - 1.3.41 compile

Post by Tom Temper » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Steve,

I recently encountered this error. In my case the floppy had bad sectors in
the contiguous area that the compressed kernel was copied to.

I don't know for sure if that is your problem or not. However, if you format
a brand new floppy and then do a make zdisk, and the problem goes away, then
your floppy probably has bad sectors where the kernel is being copied to.

--
Cheers....

Thomas Tempero
Design Acceleration, Inc
Rochester Design Center
1530 Highway 52 N, Suite 1076
Rochester, MN

Problems with 1.3.39 - 1.3.41 compile

Post by Scot W. Stevens » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hello Steve,

Quote:> I started running into problems compiling 1.3.39. After doing a make
> zdisk, I booted from the floppy and just after the Loading message I
> got this:
> 0201
> AX:020c
> BX:000
> CX:007
> DX:000
> 0201

This is not a Problem of the Kernel 1.3.xx, since I just had the problem
with recompiling 1.2.13. I threw the diskette away (actually against
the next wall), and everything worked fine with a different diskette.
Maybe you're just twice unlucky.

Y, Scot
--

     Wir befinden uns im Jahre 1995. Das ganze Netz ist von Windownern
 besetzt... Das ganze Netz? Nein! Ein von unbeugsamen Linuxern bevoelkerter

1. Fix for some PPP problems with 1.3.41

It seems _IOC_READ and _IOC_WRITE got switched in the 1.3.41 patches.
That has resulted in problems for the floppy driver too, and the sound
driver.

In include/asm-i386/ioctl.h, change the direction bits to look like this
instead, and then it hopefully works ok:

        /*
         * Direction bits.
         */
        #define _IOC_NONE       0U
        #define _IOC_WRITE      1U
        #define _IOC_READ       2U

Does that fix it for you?

                Linus
----------------------------

That was from a message sent by Linus.
After I applied this fix in kernel 1.3.41
PPP not only worked, it absolutely FLEW.

From:  Eric Kahler.

http://mars.superlink.net/user/ekahler/index.html

2. Intercepting IP incoming/outgoing datagrams in kernel space

3. Kernel 1.3.41 - ip_tcp.h ERRORS!?

4. syslog messages

5. Kernel 1.3.41 causes obtuse failures

6. mounting..shells

7. kernel 1.3.41

8. NAMED

9. ppp with kernel version > 1.3.41

10. Linux Kernel 1.3.41+SB AWE 32=NO SOUND

11. linux 1.3.41/1.3.37 + ppp2.2.0c

12. memory leak in 1.3.41?

13. 1.3.41 breaks dlopen()