Red Hat 5.2 on IBM 600

Post by jimmyt » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi, everybody, I have so much questions bothering me after I installed Red
Hat 5.2 with my NoteBook IBM ThinkPad 600.

1. What file I need to update first after the installation,which website
provide direct download link??
2. How to setup a PCMCIA modem TDK Grobal Freedom 5660 ? It hang when linux
boots.
3. Where I can get the most updated version of Kernel ?
4. Only Afterstep x-windows can be used in Red Hat ? Any other ? Where?
5. My sound card works but poor quality, how can I check the irq resource ?
6. How can I connect between the files system of Linux and Win98 ? I
download files in windows but can't be use ..
7. Which website is valueable for Thinkpad 600 user ?Drivers
download/update?

Thanks for every professional, I am e*d to explore the new OS even I
still use win98 to online, I hope someday I can use linux to internet and
post a helpful message to public again.

Red Hat 5.2 on IBM 600

Post by Anders Larse » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, everybody, I have so much questions bothering me after I installed Red
> Hat 5.2 with my NoteBook IBM ThinkPad 600.

[snip]

> Thanks for every professional, I am e*d to explore the new OS even I
> still use win98 to online, I hope someday I can use linux to internet and
> post a helpful message to public again.

I've posted some answers to comp.os.linux.setup

--
Anders Larsen

1. Red Hat 5.2 on IBM 600

jimmyto wrote in newsgroup comp.os.linux.development.system:

First of all, you should select the right newsgroup when you post your questions.

Here are answers to some, but not all, of your questions.

2. You should get the latest pcmcia package (http://sourceforge.org/pcmcia/)
3. ftp to ftp.kernel.org, or better to ftp.<your-iso-country-code>.kernel.org, then cd to pub/linux/kernel
4. KDE and Gnome are included with newer RedHat versions.
5. Sound-cards support is much better in newer kernels.
6. On the same machine? Then mount your Win98 partition as type 'vfat'
   On another machine? Install and configure samba.
7. Drivers are found with the kernel (see 3) and with the pcmcia package (see 2), you can get other updates from RedHat - check http://www.redhat.com/ for your local mirror.

The above might turn out to be a bad solution, after all:
RedHat 5.2 comes with a 2.0.x kernel, and you really have to update quite a number of packages to get a 2.2.x kernel up-and-running. Also the current versions of the pcmcia package may not work with a 2.0.x kernel.

I'd strongly recommend you upgrade to RedHat 6.1, it would make life so much easier for you - that's my answer to your *first* question ;-)

--
Anders Larsen

2. LINX HELP REQUESTED

3. Problem installin Red Hat 6.1 on IBM Thinkpad 600

4. Cannot mount all Linux partitions

5. Cant install Red Hat or Caldera on IBM Thinkpad 600

6. Solaris 8 Jumpstart inetboot problem.

7. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

8. mouse wheel?

9. Pentium III 600+Red Hat Linux 6.1=Math bug, I Need help

10. 64-bit AMD Red Hat Enterprise 3 crash with Quantum SDLT 600 autoloader

11. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

12. Thinkpad 600/SuSE 5.2, just reboots

13. installing xmms on Red Hat 5.2