a basic question - kernel module

Post by chiva » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:02:43

hi there,
some very basic questions -

1. what exactly is a kernel module
2. what does it mean by "loading the kernel module".
3. what is the difference between a normal application and a kernel module.
4. how to write my own kernel module.

please mail me your answers
thank you.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/lkmpg/mpg.html
http://www.kernelnewbies.org/
http://www.daimi.au.dk/~kasperd/comp.os.linux.development.faq.html

Post by el.. » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:37:20

>1. what exactly is a kernel module
>2. what does it mean by "loading the kernel module".
>3. what is the difference between a normal application and a kernel module.
>4. how to write my own kernel module.

Start with Rubini:

   http://www.spinics.net/am.php?0596000081

1. Basic kernel module help needed!

Hi,

I'm new to device drivers for Linux, and I have a irritating problem
that I've been working with for a while.

I've written the most basic kernel module ever (the "hello world"-type)
and still I can't get it to work. The problem is "unresolved externals"
while running insmod. It doesn't matter what external function I try to
use (strlen, memset, register_char_device etc. etc.) ALL of them
becomes "unresolved".

I use the 2.2.12-20 kernel distributed with red hat 6.1, and I have
installed ALL sources/headers/libs from the distribution CD. The system
is clean, installed on a brand new hard disc. No earlier or later
versions of the kernel even close to my computer!

Even more irritating, if I try to #include <asm/uaccess.h> (as one
should if the kernel is later than 2.2.0) the module won't even
compile. I get a bunch of undeclared functions (boot_cpu_data_R4d12d1d7
etc.)

I am a desperate man, ready to take desperate actions on my linux
computer. If someone doesn't help me, the poor thing will fall 10
floors downto a cold and wet parking lot.

/Eric D

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Problems with flock on Solaris

3. beginner module question: kernel-module version mismatch

4. Question: Solaris 2.2 NFS share command

5. Very basic module configuration question

6. PostgreSQL Version 6.0 RDBMS database ANSI SQL 92 compliant - Its FREE!!

7. Opening a kernel module from another kernel module

8. Unable to make a new kernel

9. Ft. Worth - Linux Kernel Module Programmer - Unix kernel modules & Unix device drivers

10. Basic basic troff question??!

11. Basic, Basic SCSI Question

12. very basic basic newbie question

13. Basic question for 2.1.xxx kernel people