Please help shed light on SYSLOGD problems

Please help shed light on SYSLOGD problems

Post by George D » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

]
]I asked about this a week or two ago regarding Micron Transport XPE.
]I'm trying to run syslogd version 1.3-0 under kernels 2.0.{0,13,30}.
]The -d debug option cause a segmentation fault and core dump.
]This very version worked fine for many months on a SCSI PPro system I was
]using.  I upgraded an older system that had been running 1.2.9 or some
]such for a long time to 2.0.13 and guess what -- no syslogd.  Same seg
]fault/core dump on syslogd -d.
]
I have seen a very similar thing if the host name is not set up properly, If the
host name in /etc/hosts is different from that set in rc.inet, or if you are
using DNS and that returns a different host name from the one you have set on
the box, syslogd won't work.

--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau                                              __
/    * \ Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), NT, Oracle, Internet  (OO)

      v  WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau                          W--W

Post by Institute for the Study o » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I asked about this a week or two ago regarding Micron Transport XPE.
I'm trying to run syslogd version 1.3-0 under kernels 2.0.{0,13,30}.
The -d debug option cause a segmentation fault and core dump.
This very version worked fine for many months on a SCSI PPro system I was
using.  I upgraded an older system that had been running 1.2.9 or some
such for a long time to 2.0.13 and guess what -- no syslogd.  Same seg
fault/core dump on syslogd -d.

An older
version from a sources directory (unknown version seeminly from 1992 and
93 by Eric Allman and Ralph Cambell) on my Walnut Creek Oct.96 CDs
seems to run and post some messages to the log files.  I had to change
/etc/syslog.conf because the "=" character wasn't recognized and syslog
complains on startup that "syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: Operation not
supported on transport endpoint".

Can I grab a newer syslogd off the net somewhere that will make all these
problems go away?  With the laptop I thought it was a wierd hardware
incompatability but now with another system acting the same way, ...?

Please help.

Media Source:   Walnut Creek Linux Toolkit, Oct 1996 6CD set
Kernels:        2.0.{0,13,30} (I downloaded .30 -- .13 was latest on CD)
Systems:        Dell PPro 200 -- syslogd 1.3-0 works fine
                Micron Transport XPE, P133 -- syslogd 1.3-0 dies
                Packard Bell P66 -- syslogd 1.3-0 dies

Please help shed light on SYSLOGD problems

Post by Ian Rawlin » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to run syslogd version 1.3-0 under kernels 2.0.{0,13,30}.
> The -d debug option cause a segmentation fault and core dump.

I had this problem ages ago. The problem was that my /etc/hosts file
wasn't set up correctly. It should be;

127.0.0.1       localhost loghost

So on my system it's;

127.0.0.1       localhost loghost
194.222.198.188 tarcus.demon.co.uk tarcus

The crucial bit seems to be the second line, the FQDN needs to be
first otherwise syslogd core dumps.

--
Ian Rawlings - ** decode anti-spam address to contact me **

1. Please help shed light on SYSLOGD problems

[...]

2. Symposium: CETS-2001 Hotels

3. Can someone shed some light on some truss output?

4. How can I tell where packets are going (Local net)

5. Can anyone shed any light on this log entry

6. syslog and POP mail

7. Shed light on strange Kppp occurence ??

8. Need Help NOW!!

9. Could someone shed some light on driver types?

10. PPP scripts... wanna shed some light?

12. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

13. Light Weight Process help in SunOS please!