bochs emulator and linux

Post by bigbi » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:34:09

I have been doing some operating systems research with linux and other
OSs but I
think my machine is going to fry if I keep restarting a couple
thousand times a day(plus it is slow).  I have tried to use bochs but
there isn't that much linux kernelsource that has been tested with it.
 Does anybody have any kernel source that works with bochs, they
provide dlx linux but the source for the kernel is not provided?  I am
basically looking for any small kernels actually.  Or what are other
good methods for testing kernels besides running on hardware.

Berlin Brown

bochs emulator and linux

Post by ken_yap_fdb642fe_.. » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:49:25

|basically looking for any small kernels actually.  Or what are other
|good methods for testing kernels besides running on hardware.

Have you looked at User Mode Linux? Search Google.

bochs emulator and linux

Post by Kasper Dupon » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:30:23

> I have been doing some operating systems research with linux and other
> OSs but I
> think my machine is going to fry if I keep restarting a couple
> thousand times a day(plus it is slow).  I have tried to use bochs but
> there isn't that much linux kernelsource that has been tested with it.
>  Does anybody have any kernel source that works with bochs, they
> provide dlx linux but the source for the kernel is not provided?  I am
> basically looking for any small kernels actually.  Or what are other
> good methods for testing kernels besides running on hardware.

Have you looked at plex86? (I'm not sure if it makes any difference,
but you should at least give it a chance.)

bochs emulator and linux

Post by Dave Carriga » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:53:05

> Or what are other good methods for testing kernels besides running on
> hardware.

VMWare would work very well, assuming that the things you want to test
aren't drivers for real devices. Of especial use is the ability to
resume a session, so you can avoid the reboot cycle altogether.

--

UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS |
Seattle, WA, USA                            |

bochs emulator and linux

Post by Philip Armstro » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:45:15

>I have been doing some operating systems research with linux and
>other OSs but I think my machine is going to fry if I keep restarting
>a couple thousand times a day(plus it is slow).  I have tried to use
>bochs but there isn't that much linux kernelsource that has been
>tested with it.  Does anybody have any kernel source that works with
>bochs, they provide dlx linux but the source for the kernel is not
>provided?  I am basically looking for any small kernels actually.  Or
>what are other good methods for testing kernels besides running on
>hardware.

Do a google search for "Two kernel monte" which allows you to change
the running kernel in place. Also, "User mode linux", which allows you
to run a linux kernel as a process within a running linux system.

Phil

bochs emulator and linux

Post by Marek Zawadzk » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:15:19

> >I have been doing some operating systems research with linux and
> >other OSs but I think my machine is going to fry if I keep restarting
> >a couple thousand times a day(plus it is slow).
[...]
> Do a google search for "Two kernel monte" which allows you to change
> the running kernel in place. Also, "User mode linux", which allows you
> to run a linux kernel as a process within a running linux system.

To add my own two cents -- use usermode linux
(http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net) -- you'll love it! It's basically
a patch you can apply to almost any Linux kernel and build a regular
executable(!) instead of compressed kernel image.
Also, it's more secure and safe, since you run everything as a user -- vs.
VMare, which runs its daemons as root.
I've been using VMWare, but I am switching to the uml, since it's so much
faster! "Reboot" takes like 8 seconds. Also, you can _easily_ use gdb
on it and debug your kerel -- but it's a bit evil, cause it may make you
lazy actually ;-)

-marek

1. Installing FreeBSD under BOCHS (ports/emulators/bochs)

Hi,

I've been trying to get bochs 1.4.1 working under FreeBSD. The port
builds and installs fine but I am unable to get FreeBSD to act as a
guest OS. I've gone through the Bochs docs and searched the web/usenet
for answers without success.

I am having problems with the hard disk emulation, cdrom access, and
the ne2k emulation. Briefly, here are the problems:

1 Hard Disk emulation

During the FreeBSD boot process, FreeBSD is unable to find the disk,
though it does find the controller but is unable to find/access the
hard drive image.

ad0: Read command timeout ...
ad0: failed to reset ...

Additionally, no hard disk devices are displayed in the partitioning
menu in sysinstall.

Note, I was able to get OpenDOS to find the hard disk, so I'm pretty
sure I've got it setup alright. Also, FreeBSD 3.4 was able to locate
the drive and run fdisk on it (though disklabel failed).

2 CDROM

During device probes, Boch panics:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [CD   ]

choosing to continue bypasses the problem.

Unfortunately, sysinstall is unable to find the cdrom device (even
though it booted from it).

3 ne2k emuation

during boot process, Bochs panics:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [NE2K ]

choosing to continue bypasses the problem.

I am able to get FBSD to find the ne2k device (as ed0). It is also
successfully configured with an ip address and even sends packets
(verified with tcpdump). Unfortunately, it does not recieve packets.
It doesn't even respond to arp requrests.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. what should /dev/modem be linked to?

3. bochs 386 emulator running win95 under linux?

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 1 of 6)

5. bochs x86 emulator, RH4.2, RH5.0

6. Help Me! system Panic.

7. Bochs - any experience with the Win emulator?

8. 2.2.16 - no modules.dep file?

9. Anyone using Bochs x86 emulator?

10. Bochs emulator problems

11. Questions about the Bochs emulator