Making Device Drivers on Linux

Post by Francesco Giugu Giuffri » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm developing a Device Driver for a MEI axis controler DSP card on linux
with the kernell 1.2.11 and the patches for real-time scheduling
The driver is a simple IO access based on ioperm outp_b and inp_b.
The problemi s that the 2 calls to ioperm are ok, outp_b is ok, but when I call
inp_b I have a segmentation fault.
How can I debug?
What can I do?
Do someone has a simple example of code to see?

| \    |__| | \| |  ||      tel. +39 (10) 3532801   fax: +39 (10) 3532948
|  \   |  | |  | |  || DIST (Departement of Comunications and Computer Science)
|  /   |  | |  | |__||               via Opera Pia 11a, Genova
        Old programmers never die, only branch to a new location!!!

Post by Richard J. Diamo » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I'm developing a Device Driver for a MEI axis controler DSP card on linux
: with the kernell 1.2.11 and the patches for real-time scheduling
: The driver is a simple IO access based on ioperm outp_b and inp_b.
: The problemi s that the 2 calls to ioperm are ok, outp_b is ok, but when I call
: inp_b I have a segmentation fault.
: How can I debug?
: What can I do?
: Do someone has a simple example of code to see?
: --

I developed (for this very reason) a very small include file that defines
 3 macros (writestring, writeshort and writechar), which allow
 kernel/interrupt code to write (debugging) data directly to the console,
 allowing you to debug device drivers.

Email me if you want it, and I'll mail it to you.

Richard.
--

Brisbane, QLD, Australia                    phone: +61 7 252-4743
"Nothing really matters" - Queen              fax: +61 7 252-1131

Making Device Drivers on Linux

Post by Arnold Ligu » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I developed (for this very reason) a very small include file that defines
> 3 macros (writestring, writeshort and writechar), which allow
> kernel/interrupt code to write (debugging) data directly to the console,
> allowing you to debug device drivers.

>Email me if you want it, and I'll mail it to you.

>Richard.
>--

Ok. I'll bite...
Is there any reason you're not willing to post your "very small include file
thet defines 3 macros" here?
(Yes, I realize this isn't a sources group, but if they're THAT small,
I suspect noone will scream too much.)

        Just thought I'd ask, since I don't have email access....
--
Arnold Ligurs **     (Insert "standard corporate disclaimer" here...)
****     Bell-Northern Research Ltd., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada         ****

Post by Craig Taverne » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> : I'm developing a Device Driver for a MEI axis controler DSP card on linux

I know this is a bit of a deviation, but I'm looking for linux device
drivers for Chase AT8+ and AT16+ multiport cards, and haven't been able
to find any support for them for linux. (my kernel is 1.2.8)

Do such drivers exist?
Is anyone working on them?
Is is possible to patch other drivers to run these cards?

Any pointers welcome.

Thanks, Craig

"If God had meant us to be *, we would have been born that way."

Craig Taverner
Structural Chemistry, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa

1. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

  Recently purchased a chinon 4X CDrom that isn't recognized  by any of the existing device
drivers in /dev.  I called Chinon and asked if they planned on creating a Unix driver or
specifically a Linux driver.  They said no on Unix and that theyd never heard of Linux.  Now
I'm having them send me the programming specs for my drive.  To the point..anyone out there
managed to create their own device driver for linux yet?  Anyone out the know where I can
get the source for a functioning CDrom device driver to pattern mine after?

Thanks,
Steve Brague

2. changing my window Manager in X

3. ipfwadm

4. Can SCO device drivers be made to work

5. Help. #ttys != #fds.

6. Device driver calling another device driver.

7. ptrace(2) functionality moved in SVR4?

8. Device driver question (generic device driver)

9. one device driver and 2 devices for it, impossible with linux ?

10. Making devices in linux

11. Is there a company that makes Linux drivers for their soundcards?

12. My Linux 2.2.13 Device Drivers won't work on Linux 2.4.3