GCC 2.7.2 , XFree86 , ELF not compiling shared ?

GCC 2.7.2 , XFree86 , ELF not compiling shared ?

Post by multim » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

  I just upgraded my system from GCC 2.5.8 to 2.7.2 following the instructions
to the letter. I have all the latest utils and libraries. I also installed
XFree86 3.1.2 ELF.

  I have noticed that when I now make X programs that the libraries are static
linked ! I made a new version of xanim which came out to be 1.2 Meg. I have
edited my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/linux.cf with LinuxElfDefault YES and
UseElfFormat YES but did did not help. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

 G. Nielsen

Post by Jason B. Faultle » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

|   I just upgraded my system from GCC 2.5.8 to 2.7.2 following the instructions
| to the letter. I have all the latest utils and libraries. I also installed
| XFree86 3.1.2 ELF.
When you installed binutils-2.6.0.2, you did read the part in the release
notes about making sure you have a link libname.so -> libname.so.1.2.3
This applies to all libraries, it's just that the binary distribution
for libc-5.2.18 installs these links for you.

   (Sometime rational - often not)

Post by Josh Ste » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>  I just upgraded my system from GCC 2.5.8 to 2.7.2 following the instructions
>to the letter. I have all the latest utils and libraries. I also installed
>XFree86 3.1.2 ELF.

>  I have noticed that when I now make X programs that the libraries are static
>linked ! I made a new version of xanim which came out to be 1.2 Meg. I have
>edited my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/linux.cf with LinuxElfDefault YES and
>UseElfFormat YES but did did not help. What am I missing here?

One possibility: you need symbolic links ending with '.so' pointing

Also make sure that you ran ldconfig.

- Josh

jstern