Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by the hitm » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

        I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it?  Please email me directly.

        IBM RS6000, 520
        19" Color Monitor
        VGA Port
        STd. Keyboard.
        SCSI Disks, etc.

        hitman

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Sven Gegg » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

:       I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it?  Please email me directly.

Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?

Sven

--

        SNAILMAIL: Sven Geggus - Haydnstr.5 - 76356 Weingarten - GERMANY

Quote:> In the meantime the trafic jam on our Data Highway is like on the Autobahn <

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by the universe (r » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>:   I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it?  Please email me directly.

>Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
>with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?

because linux is the superior (IMHO) UNIX.  there's more to a UNIX
than how many applications it supports (assuming you can get all of
the applications you need).  also, LINUX is free.  followups should
probably make their way to the advocacy group...

-- garth

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Pat Stro » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >:         I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it?  Please email me directly.
: >
: >Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
: >with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?
: >

: because linux is the superior (IMHO) UNIX.  there's more to a UNIX
: than how many applications it supports (assuming you can get all of
: the applications you need).  also, LINUX is free.  followups should
: probably make their way to the advocacy group...

: -- garth

Linux is a great system and I use it all the time like right now but I
have to say that I believe AIX is superior (for now) in many areas other
than just applications.  Have you had the opportunity to truly use the
LVM or XLC?  IBM's JFS is great and very time-saving.  HP and SCO are now
finally getting around to implementing a JFS.  The XLC compiler also
produces the best optimized code for what I understand.  There were
benchmarks posted a while back in this newgroup listing GCC and XLC.  I
also have to that the h/w management on a 6000 is excellent.  IBM seems
to do things there way but it makes much more sense when considering an
SCO box.

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by John Fulm » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|> >Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
|> >with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?
|> >

|> because linux is the superior (IMHO) UNIX.  there's more to a UNIX
|> than how many applications it supports (assuming you can get all of
|> the applications you need).  also, LINUX is free.  followups should
|> probably make their way to the advocacy group...

My 2 cents...Having delt with AIX, It is just about the lamest piece of software I have ever seen. IBM tried to be 'too helpful' in it's design, by making it so dependent on it's config software, that it's very hard to figure out how to change anything by hand. I spent about two days on one problem that would have taken 20 minutes with Linux (aka, it's SLIP software, or lack of PPP)...

Sorry to waste the bandwidth...

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Dominic Mitche » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Linux is a great system and I use it all the time like right now but I
>have to say that I believe AIX is superior (for now) in many areas other
>than just applications.  Have you had the opportunity to truly use the
>LVM or XLC?  IBM's JFS is great and very time-saving.  HP and SCO are now
>finally getting around to implementing a JFS.  The XLC compiler also
>produces the best optimized code for what I understand.  There were
>benchmarks posted a while back in this newgroup listing GCC and XLC.  I
>also have to that the h/w management on a 6000 is excellent.  IBM seems
>to do things there way but it makes much more sense when considering an
>SCO box.

Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard?  If so, who publishes this
standard?  That would mean that there would be no problems
implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...

-Dom

--
  ____
 /o   \/|

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Alan C » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>also have to that the h/w management on a 6000 is excellent.  IBM seems
>to do things there way but it makes much more sense when considering an
>SCO box.

To quote Linus himself "The memory management on the PowerPC" [ie 6000 series]
"can be used to frighten small children"

Alan
--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''
Redistribution of this message via the Microsoft Network is prohibited

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Gernot Bau » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard?  If so, who publishes this
> standard?  That would mean that there would be no problems
> implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...

> -Dom

Whats JFS?

--
-------------------------------------
Gernot Bauer

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Pat Stro » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >
: > Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard?  If so, who publishes this
: > standard?  That would mean that there would be no problems
: > implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...
: >
: > -Dom
: >

: Whats JFS?

JFS is short for Journaled File System.  It is a technology used by some
flavors of UNIX for disk management by creating logical volumes from many
(more than one) physical volumes.  With it, as is the case with AIX, file
systems can be extended, mirrored, or striped on the fly.  It also offers
very good protection against file system corruption due to a crash.

Pat Strode

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Colin.Wa.. » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: : Whats JFS?

: JFS is short for Journaled File System.  It is a technology used by some
: flavors of UNIX for disk management by creating logical volumes from many
: (more than one) physical volumes.  With it, as is the case with AIX, file
: systems can be extended, mirrored, or striped on the fly.  It also offers
: very good protection against file system corruption due to a crash.

You have the Logical Volume Manager and JFS mixed up. What you describe
above is LVM. JFS is a database style filesystem. Every time the filesystem
changes it is logged in a journal. Result is that you don't need to fsck.

--
Colin Walls                      |

Tel: 01565-614531                |

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by wayn » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >
: > Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard?  If so, who publishes this
: > standard?  That would mean that there would be no problems
: > implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...
: >
: > -Dom
: >

: Whats JFS?

Jorunal File Systems.

It can increase its size without reformatting...

The disk organization on AIX is different from others which I have seen.
It is elastic. However, it also has more overheads.

Ex:              (ps: The following map is not absolutely right)

(Physical Volume)

Hard Disk 1

+------+
|   1  |--------------
|------|       +------(Volume Group)--+--(Logical Volume 1)---- JFS 1
|   2  |       | +----                |
|------|       | |                    +--(Logical Volume 2)---- JFS 2
|   3  |-------+ |
|------|         |
|   .  |         |
    .            |

Hard Disk 2      |                     +------+
                 |                     |      | <-- Partition Size
+------+         |                     |------|      2, 4, 8, 16 MB ...
|   1  |---------+                     |   .  |
|------|                                   .
|   2  |
|------|
|   3  |
|------|
|   .  |
    .

--
Hwu Wei-Si

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Trever Mill » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Whats JFS?

Journaled File System  aka  Checkpointing File System.

Basically, a file system that is more robust to things like the power
going out etc due to the multi-phase writes.  Sorta like redo log files
in various database's.

--

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by Geert Uytterhoev » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|> More important: it logs all filesystem changes in a transaction-oriented
|> manner. You can push the reset button if you like (or need), the machine
|> reboots and everything is fine. No hour-long fsck sessions as we all know
|> from SunOS...

Even better, if your key is in the right (wrong?) position, you can hit the big
yellow reset button and it keeps on working :-)

--

Wavelets, Linux/68k on Amiga,...       http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

Linux on IBM RS6000

Post by James Ewer » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>LVM or XLC?  IBM's JFS is great and very time-saving.  HP and
SCO are now
>finally getting around to implementing a JFS.  The XLC
compiler also

What is JFS?  Does AIX provide and SVR3 or OSF/2
compatiblility?

1. IBM RS6000 43P-100 , looking to buy a used RS6000 machine

Looking to buy a used RS6000

Hello people,

I am a newbie to AIX , just cleared AIX test 191 , was practising on a
old (leased from a friend)powerstation 220 for the test.

Now i am interested in getting a used RS6000 machine as i planning to
load AIX 5L, version5.1 on it and add it to my home network . of a
linux/2K setup. This machine will be mainly used to learn RS6000
installation/configuration(which i already know to an extent),
internetworkign with linux and windows platforms.

I found IBM RS6000 43P-100 100mhz/160mb/2.2GB/FD/CD on ebay . Will
this work with a regular VGA monitor?
I heard all the 43P's and above are PCI based and work with regular
monitors and keyboards and not IBM propriety ones. Please help , or
suggest a different configuration ,

thanks
spk

2. RARP Xterminal bootup

3. Linux for IBM RS6000/590

4. solaris printing question.

5. IBM thin clients w/ Linux per RS6000

6. Problem after installing 2.2.10

7. NFS With Linux, IBM RS6000 and HP 9000

8. Booting linux on an mp3 player without login prompt

9. Two to make a bootable ISO file for IBM RS6000/B50 in Linux.

10. Linux on a Power Server 560 (IBM RS6000)

11. Linux for IBM RS6000/590

12. Linux for IBM RS6000?

13. IBM RS6000 Mod 5xx with Linux