SVGALIB question

Post by Phil Howa » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Although this is for an application, the deep technical level is probably
better answered on comp.os.linux.development.system.

Will SVGALIB allow an application to set up a video mode and then bypass
all its function calls to go to the video ram directly itself, while still
supporting the ability to switch virtual consoles and let the application
know of the switch?  Will the video ram mapping be remapped to a dummy
area during away-from-virtual-console (so the app can keep on running if
it chooses to)?

I have an old program from DOG DAZE (when I used DOS) that I want to
rewrite for 32-bit and Linux.  But it requires direct video ram access.
It will be using a standard VGA video mode that every comptible video
card should have (2-color, 8 pix/byte, 320x200).  I might also want to
extend it to other like modes (8 pix/byte required) but that's not
essential.

While I'm asking, can SVGALIB be used to also do this in a TEXT mode?
Any of the standard VGA modes?  Custom register tweak modes based on
the old VGA register model if the board/card/chip supports it?
--
Phil Howard KA9WGN      +-------------------------------------------------+
Unix/Internet/Sys Admin | If these are non-essential federal government   |

SVGALIB question

Post by Albert Cahal » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

P> Will SVGALIB allow an application to set up a video mode and then bypass
P> all its function calls to go to the video ram directly itself, while still
P> supporting the ability to switch virtual consoles and let the application
P> know of the switch?  Will the video ram mapping be remapped to a dummy area
P> during away-from-virtual-console (so the app can keep on running if it
P> chooses to)?

P> While I'm asking, can SVGALIB be used to also do this in a TEXT mode?  Any
P> of the standard VGA modes?  Custom register tweak modes based on the old
P> VGA register model if the board/card/chip supports it?

For this you need KGI/GGI.  The KGI/GGI stuff is not complete, but there
is a mailing list and you are welcome to help.  KGI provides integrated
kernel video services as a loadable module (no need to bloat the boot
process) and GGI is the user-mode library recommended for KGI.

Some web pages:
http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~becka/doc/scrdrv.html
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sse/scrdrv

in the usual Majordomo way.  It will not make your mailbox explode
like the kernel list does.

Right now the basic design is complete and we need drivers.
(I think we now support some S3 cards and plain VGA)

When this project is done, graphics software will not need to be
suid-root, there will be only one video configuration file,
DOSEMU/X/SVGAlib/SVGATextMode and such will coexist in peace,
login spoofing and scrambled video modes will never happen...

If you can hack and you have a video card, we need you  :-)
--

Albert Cahalan

1. GS fonts, svgalib questions

Hey,
        Could someone tell me if there are some better fonts for Ghostscript
out there, and where I can find them, and how to install them...  I only
recently got Ghostscript and my printcap coordinated enough to print
with my BJ-200ex...
        The output looks ~ok~ .  The fonts don't seem to be very consistent
within themselves... Some letters are consistently darker than others
within the same font.  I have GS 2.6.2

        Also, are there some docs for svgalib?  I have a diamond stealth 64
graphics 2120...everytime I use something that uses svgalib, everything
gets out of sync with everything else.  Even after the program quits or
aborts or whatever, my text is all scrambled and I have to reboot.  I
don't recall right now what version of svgalib I have.  (Got it from my
redhat 3.0.3 dist.) I have read the limited docs that come with it,
(i.e. libsvga.README)  Doesn't seem to help.

Anyhelp is appreciated,

Scott

2. smit error : unable to create temp file

3. Linux squake mouse acceleration and SVGALib question...

4. Redhat 7.1 and StarOffice 5.2

5. vgagl and svgalib question...

6. Mouseconfigure dies and exits

7. Svgalib question