System hangs with unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.

System hangs with unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.

Post by Hansel Kw » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem relating to my Cyrix 6x86 200+ and
Adaptec 2940 SCSI adaptor.

System Config:
        Cyrix 686 P200+
        AHA 2940 SCSI Adaptor
        48M RAM
        Segate 2GB SCSI Harddisk (scsi id 0)
        SCSI CDROM (scsi id 1)

Linux apache.gih.co.uk 2.0.20 #8 Tue Jul 8 00:02:31 BST 1997 i486

Problem:

        When there is heavy access to my scsi disk,
the system hangs with the following messages.

----
aborting command due to time out (pid 1126) scsi0
channel 0 id0 lun0  0x28 00 00 2a 2b d6 00 00 72 00
(abort) Aborting scb0 TCL 0/0/0
-----

Then the system tries to reset the scsi bus. This
is what it thinks...

---
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 1126) timed out resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

aic7xxxx reset target/channel 0/
0 abort reset scb state 01 Data-In Phase SCSISIGI 0x44

abort scb asserted ATW - host device reset in message buffer.
---

System tried to repeat the reset but with the same results.
Then came the following:

---
SCSI host 0 reset timed out again
probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.
---

This problem appeared during fsck when the filesystem
is unclean. It also appeared when X starts, or some
other disk intensive application.

Because it is a 6x86 200+, the bus clock is set to 75MHz.
When I set the bus clock to that of a 166+, which is
66MHz, the system is fine. I was able to use the system
for a long time without problems.

When the system hangs, the red led on the scsi card is
on constantly. I tried to see if the same problem appeared
with NT, well, it did hang for a while with the red LED on,
however, NT seems to be able to get out of it. However,
I was not able to do a lot of testing with NT.

Can someone tell me what the problem might be?

Thank you.

Hansel.

--
Hansel Kwok.                                 Telephone: +44 (0)171 5946309

System hangs with unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.

Post by Andrew E. Milesk » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a problem relating to my Cyrix 6x86 200+ and
>Adaptec 2940 SCSI adaptor.

>Linux apache.gih.co.uk 2.0.20 #8 Tue Jul 8 00:02:31 BST 1997 i486

Why not try a newer kernel - the AIC7XXX has undergone _MAJOR_
changes since 2.0.20, and in fact has a major overhaul as recently
as 2.1.48.

keep in touch with driver developments, and visit the development
FTP sites for latest patches (warning - these are from memory):
   ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/eischen/
   ftp://ftp.pcnet.com/users/deang/Linux/aic7xxx/
If I got these wrong, browse around the sites a little - I know
I can't be that far off...or you can just serach the web!

The AIC7XXX driver was written without Adaptec's support, so it
is kinda funky at times. Get BusLogic - who hired a Linux hacker -
if you need ultimate reliability.

--
Andrew E. Mileski

1. SCSI Bus Hangs (was OSR5.0.2 Install Hangs)

We swapped a motherboard and one hard drive in an OSR5.0.0 system and
cannot get past a very basic problem.  I now have the system stripped down
to the following configuration:

        MB using INtel 430HX Chipset (supports ECC/parity memory)
                (Model R528)
        Pentium 120
        Award BIOS 4.51PG dated 6/13/96
                Model Byte FCH  SubModel 01H  Revision 0
        32MB parity memory (with single bit ECC turned on)
        Adaptec 1542B SCSI id 7 external terninators installed
                IRQ 5, DMA 11, Address 0x330
        Conner CFP1060S SCSI id 0, unterminated
        NEC 3xi CD-ROM SCSI id 5, terminated

I can boot a small DOS partition OK but when I use Adaptec's EZSCSI
utility and it goes out looking for attached devices, it hangs with the
LEDs on both the Adaptec and the Conner on solid. I've run diagnostics to
check for IRQ/DMA conflicts and none are detected.  I've removed the other
two SCSI hard drives and tape drive to test but it still hangs.  If I run
PC Cerify Pro, it can successfully detect and list both the hard drive and
the CD-ROM as can the Adaptec aspi4dos.sys driver.

The Adaptec and all SCSI devices are setup exactly as they were in the
old, functioning system.

The CMOS setting for all IRQs (except 15 used by the SMC EtherPower card)
and DMAs are all set to "Legacy ISA".  Power Management is disabled as are
all onboard IDE stuff (floppy & HD).

I guess I'm down to pulling non-SCSI cards.?.?

PS. The MB comes from a reputable supplier who also sells systems with SCO
installed; the MB is supposed to work fine with SCO.

[Obviously] NOT a hardware person,
[Not so] Lucky

Lucky Leavell                            Phone: (812) 945-6555
Relational Information Systems, Inc.       FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                       71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.iglou.com/ris   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris

2. Unix Screen dump

3. 5.0.4 Upgrade as SCSI disks configure into kernel, flashes SCSI unrecoverable and hangs

4. laptop backup solutions?

5. cdda2wav hangs SCSI-Bus, wrong SCSI-driver ?

6. kupdated

7. SCSI bus hangs on a IN-2000 SCSI

8. POP Server

9. cdrecord hangs system when accessing SCSI device

10. PCI SCSI/2 F/W Adapter Device Driver hangs system

11. SCSI device hangs, needs system reboot, help.

12. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

13. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)