Newbie question : Kernel development

Post by W. Kyle Unic » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Questions:
1. If one wants to add or modify the Linux kernel how is it done?
2. Is there a single Linux kernel source?
3. If there alot of approving that goes into a modification?

Thanks
Kyle

Newbie question : Kernel development

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Questions:
> 1. If one wants to add or modify the Linux kernel how is it done?

Just edit it ;)  it's probably already installed under /usr/src/linux

Quote:> 2. Is there a single Linux kernel source?

Well, there is the official kernel source, but then there's dozens of
various patches floating around, plus a couple groups are working on major
changes (GGI comes to mind).  The Official Linux Kernel Source site is
currently ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel

Quote:> 3. If there alot of approving that goes into a modification?

Subscribe to the linux-kernel list by mailing majordomo at vger.rutgers.edu
Linus, and all the other major kernel hackers, hang out there.  Send it
some mail describing your patch, plus the patch if it's short enough, or a
pointer to it.  If Linus likes it, he'll more than likely include a version
of it in one of the next releases.

        also note that the current stable version, 2.0.30, isn't get any
        new features added on - bug-fixes only for 2.0.31  If you want to
        do any of the fun stuff, look for the latest beta kernels in
        ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.1 and pub/linux/kernel/testing

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre10 i486 egcs | at public servers
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)

1. Newbie to Kernel Development

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Linux Kernel Development, with a very basic knowledge of C,
and an OK knowledge of C++/Qt.

I was wondering if the people on this list could help me with my learning of
C, and help me and bring me up to Kernel Developer status.

Looking through the source code, there are a lot of "printk"s. I believe that
this is an alternative to printf because printf was unsuitable for this
purpose, and that it was written by Linus Torvalds, but I don't see why
printf's not adequate.

I also would like to know about the Linux security model, as well as what
ELF/a.out is.

Many thanks,

George

--

Only wimps use tape backup: _real_    | George Wright - Edge Grove School - Age 13
men just upload their important stuff |

/_\  /_\     penguin (TUX!)           |
w w  w w                              | Website:  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/
                                      |                        eric.rsoc/George

-

2. Software RAID mirror on Solaris x86?

3. (Newbie) X cross-development questions

4. delete a file

5. Newbie development questions

6. ACPI installation hangs bootup

7. Newbie questions about X App Development

8. Is there a limit to the number of files that can exist on a drive?

9. Newbie Question: Where is the C++ Development

10. Newbie to Linux development, two questions about shared libraries, one about g++ vs. gcc...

11. Newbie questions on 64 Bit development

12. linux kernel IDE development process question

13. In Depth Kernel Development Question