Polling device driver

Post by hangma » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

We need some help with a dsp board that the manufacturer has no irq for the
board and the module spawns 2 child process this is a polling device.  The
manufacturer said that this works fine on windows and dose not plan to
change the driver or the hardware. The manufacturer has a test program that
will process a single packet at a time but will not do multi packets. If we
try to send and recieve multi packet the driver will lockup or takes all  of
the cpu time. We are using kernel 2.0.34.

Thanks Much

Polling device driver

Post by Kaz Kylhe » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>We need some help with a dsp board that the manufacturer has no irq for the
>board and the module spawns 2 child process this is a polling device.  The
>manufacturer said that this works fine on windows and dose not plan to
>change the driver or the hardware. The manufacturer has a test program that
>will process a single packet at a time but will not do multi packets. If we
>try to send and recieve multi packet the driver will lockup or takes all  of
>the cpu time. We are using kernel 2.0.34.

You forgot to mention the name of the board, manufacturer and whether the
source code for their driver is available, or whether the hardware specs are
available so that someone can do something about their driver.

What exactly do you hope to get out of posting to the newsgroup?

It's not likely that the kernel can be fixed in order to make the driver
work. Even if that were possible, it would be rather like the tail wagging
the dog.

You should be complaining to the manufacturer that their driver working fine on
Windows is irrelevant to you, since the Linux one flat out doesn't work.  In
the meanwhile, I'd look at competitive products.

Polling device driver

Post by hangma » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The manufacturer will not release the source code for the driver or the down
loadable firmware. We would like to find a good way of handling this polling
driver. The Manufacturer is very touchy about us giving out infomation on
this board as it is not in general release as yet.
Sorry for the not explaining better.

Post by Rick Ell » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>The manufacturer will not release the source code for the driver or the down
>loadable firmware. We would like to find a good way of handling this polling
>driver. The Manufacturer is very touchy about us giving out infomation on
>this board as it is not in general release as yet.
>Sorry for the not explaining better.

Your best option is to find another supplier.  A manufacturer that is
"very touchy" about interface information is one to avoid.

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/linux.html

Polling device driver

Post by Wm. Ken Stec » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

without hardware specs from the manufacturer, you have absolutely NO
chance of getting that
board to work on Linux. (ruling out the VERY REMOTE possibility of
reverse engineering the windows
driver you have)

> The manufacturer will not release the source code for the driver or the down
> loadable firmware. We would like to find a good way of handling this polling
> driver. The Manufacturer is very touchy about us giving out infomation on
> this board as it is not in general release as yet.
> Sorry for the not explaining better.

> >>We need some help with a dsp board that the manufacturer has no irq for
> the
> >>board and the module spawns 2 child process this is a polling device.  The
> >>manufacturer said that this works fine on windows and dose not plan to
> >>change the driver or the hardware. The manufacturer has a test program
> that
> >>will process a single packet at a time but will not do multi packets. If
> we
> >>try to send and recieve multi packet the driver will lockup or takes all
> of
> >>the cpu time. We are using kernel 2.0.34.

> >You forgot to mention the name of the board, manufacturer and whether the
> >source code for their driver is available, or whether the hardware specs
> are
> >available so that someone can do something about their driver.

> >What exactly do you hope to get out of posting to the newsgroup?

> >It's not likely that the kernel can be fixed in order to make the driver
> >work. Even if that were possible, it would be rather like the tail wagging
> >the dog.

> >You should be complaining to the manufacturer that their driver working
> fine on
> >Windows is irrelevant to you, since the Linux one flat out doesn't work.
> In
> >the meanwhile, I'd look at competitive products.

--
--------------------
Warranty void upon payment of invoice.

Ken Steck

1. polling device drivers?

i'm working on a developmental network driver, and i've been reading up
on rubini and examining 3c509.c, etc.

while the ultimate goal is an interrupt based driver, for target
specific reasons, i won't be able to use interrupts to start with, and
so need to use polling.  in chapter 14, "interrupt-driven operation"
rubini actually alludes to the fact that some kernel drivers do use
polling, but unfortunately doesn't go into any more detail.

can anyone give me some pointers on how i would go about this, or which
kernel sources to check out?

thanks in advance.

--mk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. help: fstab, mac/msdos floppies, and mac/pc scsi harddrives

3. My Freebsd driver hangs in poll function after some time (problem with poll)

4. Debugging awk question

5. device driver: using poll to wait for an event

6. NIS Setup Problem on Sol2.6

7. Poll()/select() device driver - new version available

8. koffice doesn't start

9. device driver: using poll to wait for an event

10. How many times does the poll method in device driver get called for each application select?

11. Device driver calling another device driver.

12. Device driver question (generic device driver)

13. poll/select in udprelay - anyone have poll.c(h) code for linux?