Olwm - need cmdtool termcap and function key mappings

Olwm - need cmdtool termcap and function key mappings

Post by BRIAN N OLSE » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

Does anyone have the proper termcap entry updates to make vi
work in a cmdtool?

Also, has anyone mapped the function keys to emulate a
sun keyboard (you know, Stop, Cut, Paste, Copy, Open, etc...)
I made sure I got a keyboard with function keys across the
top and side just for this purpose

Yes, I'll admit I'm lazy, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for any responses,

Brian Olsen

Olwm - need cmdtool termcap and function key mappings

Post by Jim Peters » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Also, has anyone mapped the function keys to emulate a
> sun keyboard (you know, Stop, Cut, Paste, Copy, Open, etc...)
> I made sure I got a keyboard with function keys across the
> top and side just for this purpose

I give the following file to xmodmap to get the specified Sun function keys.  I used
to have F10 as Undo, but Netscape would complain with:

Warning:
    Name: menuBar
    Class: XmRowColumn
    Illegal mnemonic character;  Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode

Hope this helps,
--Jim

!================================ ~/.xmodmaprc ================================
! F1: Help      F5: Front*      F9: Again
! F2: Copy      F6: Stop
! F3: Cut       F7: Open*       F11: Undo
! F4: Paste     F8: Find
!
! * - not defined here... property of window manager
!
keysym F1 = Help
keysym F2 = L6
keysym F3 = L10
keysym F4 = L8
keysym F6 = L1
keysym F8 = L9
keysym F9 = L2
keysym F11 = L4

1. Mapping keys other than the function keys

The main reason I have Linux installed at home, is to give me the capability
to take my work (UNIX application development) home.

At work, I have access to several types of UNIX platforms, and exclusivly use
vi. Under these enviroments, I map vi to use the keypad for special functions:
   - Save, Quit, Next File.
   - Cut and paste to named buffers.
   - Read in module, function templates

I would like to have the same functionality at home. The keyboard map under
Linux only provides the ability to program the function keys.

Does anyone know how I can simulate a DEC style keyboard or program keys
other that the function key?
This would also be handy when I get a modem, and use the machines at
work via telnet.

Will I have to resort to altering the source code?

Thank you

                  \     /
  +---------+   +--\---/--+
  |         |   |   \ /   |     In the game of life,
  | s a v e |   | l oXa d |      you can't load your
  |         |   |   / \   |      saved games.
  +---------+   +--/---\--+
                  /     \

2. baspence@us.ibm.com

3. function keys in openwin cmdtool (x86)

5. ksh+cmdtool: history function with cursor keys :-(

6. Password Validation

7. Key mappings after upgrading termcap/ncurses

8. Ethernet & Modem - browser nt working (newb)

9. Function Keys and CURSES/TERMCAP ?

10. Function key mapping for Xterms?

11. vi question - mapping a function key in .exrc file that uses a yanked word

12. Query: Mapping function keys in OpenWindows