/dev/fd0: No such device or address ???

Post by Andreas Spengle » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I am using Kernel version 2.1.29 and the latest
mtools package.

Since about Kernel V. 2.1.26 I get the
error message:

/dev/fd0: No such device or address !

when trying to access the floppy disk!

And yes I have activated the floppy support in
the kernel config...

Any Ideas ?

Andreas Spengler

Post by John Gluc » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi Folks,

> I am using Kernel version 2.1.29 and the latest
> mtools package.

> Since about Kernel V. 2.1.26 I get the
> error message:

> /dev/fd0: No such device or address !

> when trying to access the floppy disk!

> And yes I have activated the floppy support in
> the kernel config...

> Any Ideas ?

> Andreas Spengler

Hi

Sounds like the problem is in /dev

Either there is no /dev/fd0 or its at the the wrong major number. If
memory serves there's a file called devices.txt in the Documentation
directory that says what numbers all devices Linux knows about should
live.

If your floppy support is a module then make sure you have kerneld
support enabled. Also make sure you recompiled the modules after you
remade your kernel an booted with it. The sequence looks like this

1- Change to linux source directory
2- make modules
3- make modules-install
4- depmod -a
5- reboot (This might not be necessary but I do it anyway)

Regards

John Gluck

Post by Hans-Joachim Baad » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>/dev/fd0: No such device or address !

>And yes I have activated the floppy support in
>the kernel config...

As a module or built-in? I had some problems with the floppy.o
module which turned out to be a modprobe core dump. The reason
for the core dump were some lines "Path[fs] = ..." in /etc/conf.modules
which seem to be outdated. I removed them and it works fine since then.

Hans-Joachim

--
    Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:  Never use your thumb for a rule.
    You'll either hit it with a hammer or get a splinter in it.

/dev/fd0: No such device or address ???

Post by Andreas Spengle » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks,

> >/dev/fd0: No such device or address !

> >And yes I have activated the floppy support in
> >the kernel config...

> As a module or built-in? I had some problems with the floppy.o
> module which turned out to be a modprobe core dump. The reason
> for the core dump were some lines "Path[fs] = ..." in /etc/conf.modules
> which seem to be outdated. I removed them and it works fine since then.

> Hans-Joachim

I somewhat narrowed the problem. I get a message
in syslog:

/dev/fd0: Can't allocate DMA memory !!!

Does this help ???

By the way, I also use a Soundblaster 32 on
port 220, 620, A20, E20, interrupts 7 and
DMA Channels 1 and 5.

Post by Alain Knaff.DELETE.TH » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

 >I somewhat narrowed the problem. I get a message
 >in syslog:
 >
 >/dev/fd0: Can't allocate DMA memory !!!

 This means that the floppy driver could no find enough DMA-able
memory to operate. This could be due to bugs in memory management, or
to actual memory shortages.  One way to cure the symptoms is switch
off floppy DMA.  If your floppy driver is compiled-in, you can do this
by adding floppy=nodma to the LILO bootflags.  If you load it as a
module, set the environment variable floppy to nodma before inserting
the module

--
 Linux - Why use Windows, since there is a door?

 Alain

1. how to boot from /dev/fd0 and mount /dev/fd0 as root

How can I mount /dev/fd0 as the root partition when it is the drive
that I boot from, even though the boot disk is different.  The steps
that I want to do is to insert the boot disk first and boot the
machine, then insert the root disk at the appropriate time to be
used as the root filesystem.  I prefer to not use /dev/fd1 for this.
--
/***********************************************************************\

| depending on government is that you cannot depend on it" - Tony Brown |
\***********************************************************************/

2. IDE recognition at Linux startup

3. /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 /dev/scd0 problems

4. Creating Linux networking testbed...need some advice

5. FLOPPY /dev/fd0 address does not exist ?

6. Accounting software for printing

7. /dev/fd0 device busy? Help!

8. ftpd-term ftpd with term mods

9. Floppy: /dev/fd0: Device or resource busy

10. the kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)

11. /dev/fd0 :unable to open device

12. /dev/fd0 "not a valid block device" ???

13. Error mounting floppy, it says /dev/fd0 not a block device.