Linux disk performance (large directories)

Linux disk performance (large directories)

Post by Alexander Hoogerhu » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have just set up my own machine on the net here and hooked myself
onto usenet, using "suck" to communicate with my provider's
news-server. Under the first few transfers where I downloaded the
initial batches for various new groups on the system I noticed that
suck's temp directory was a *very* large amount of files in it. No
problems with that. Or so I thought.

Trying to browse the dir or using "du" to get out size-info took ages
and according to procinfo my system was using 99% of the time as
"system time". I have heard that this has something to do with the way
the filesystem organizes the inodes and various tables (relying on
linked lists that are innefficient?). Does anyone know more about
this, or is anyone willing to jolt me in the right direction for more
info?

--
   Alexander Hoogerhuis | Linux user. 'nuff said.