Samba needs "mount version 6"

Post by Roland Pab » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I updated my SuSE 6.0 with the 2.2.1 Kernel. My problem with it is this:
Whenever I try to mount a smb-share from a Windows (or even the Linux)
computer, the syslog post this message : "SMBFS : needs mount version 6".
I thought updating samba would be the first thing to do, so I updated it from
the SuSE server to version 1.9.18p10-19. But it is still not mounting anything,
so I searched for a mount version 6, but all I found was mount version 2.8a.
(I guess I'm ten years to early for a mount version 6 :-)
Does anyone know about this error ?? Should I install samba 2.0.0 ??
Or should the SMBFS in the kernel be deactivated ??
thanks
Roland Pabel
--
I imagine you've heard of me, though ?   Q ?!   It's short for Q !   -Q

Samba needs "mount version 6"

Post by Peter Samuels » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Whenever I try to mount a smb-share from a Windows (or even the
> Linux) computer, the syslog post this message : "SMBFS : needs mount
> version 6".  I thought updating samba would be the first thing to do,
> so I updated it from the SuSE server to version 1.9.18p10-19.

You should have read the famous Documentation/Changes file.  I quote:

     To mount SMB (Samba / Windows) shares, you'll need to use the
  smbmount utility included with release 2.0 of Samba.
  Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt has more information about this.
  Note that smbmount must have been built against 2.2 headers to work
  with 2.2; if all else fails, recompile it and hope it works ;-).  In
  addition, Mike Warfield has a script and some information at
  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/smbmount.html that you will probably find
  useful.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

1. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

I have just installed Mandrake 9.1/KDE 3.1 on my machine. I noticed
that I now have a set of icons coresponding to automounted
directories. For example, I have both a "Mounted CD-ROM" and a
"Mounted Samba (Windows)"-type icon. While I think this is a nice
trick, I would like to remove these icons from my desktop (I prefer
the command line for such things). However, I could not find any way
to achieve this; right-clicking on the icons does not offer a "delete"
choice. I would greatly appreciate if somebody would enlighten me as
to what KDE option or configuration file do I have to modify.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Gerd

2. "Verbose SCSI Error Reporting" in Kernel

4. Filtering root's mail

6. I want better UserDir in Apache

7. What's the difference between "mount=true"and "mount=automatic"?

8. Thinkpad and hybernation

9. "SMBFS need mount version 6" error

10. "SMBFS: need mount version 6" error

11. smbmount error: "SMBFS: need mount version 6"

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

13. "client" & "server" versions -- what's the diff?