mingetty and bash script.

Post by Baru » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:42:47

Hi all,
               Can any one tell me if it is possible to change the
number of
gettys runing on your linux box through some bash script on run time ?
e.g. your system starts with 6 gettys and after certain time you want
to shut down 3 of gettys. Can you do it with a shell script ?

Any suggestion is helpful.

Regards
Bhaskar.

mingetty and bash script.

Post by Kasper Dupon » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:25:26

> Hi all,
>                Can any one tell me if it is possible to change the
> number of
> gettys runing on your linux box through some bash script on run time ?
> e.g. your system starts with 6 gettys and after certain time you want
> to shut down 3 of gettys. Can you do it with a shell script ?

AFAIK it can only be done by modifying /etc/inittab.
You can tell init to reread the file on runtime. But
personally I'd like init to be extended with a
possibility to do it through a socket. And if designed
correctly we could also start services in that way
rather than using the current /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts.

Anyway with the way init currently works your script
will have to edit /etc/inittab and afterwards execute
"telinit q" to make init reread the file.

It is NOT portable (Linus Benedict Torvalds 1991)

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. sendmail

3. Bash/CGI - - HTML call to Bash script

4. support/patch/hack for logging core dumps?

5. Bash: Getting rubbish parameters when script first run in a new bash shell

6. Telnet woes..

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. Printing

9. Initialization script for bash script

10. convert trivial Dos bat script into bash script

11. bash script, wget queue script......

12. Script or executable to format bash scripts

13. Copy files using filenames from text files with shell script or bash script