multiple operating systems

Post by GUSTAVO D. BOTVINIKO » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Does anybody know software which will allow management of several
operating systems.
I am looking for software that at boot-time will allow me to choose from
different operating systems?
For example: I am interested in having Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows
3.1, and Linux in the same hard drive.

multiple operating systems

Post by Rudolf Leitg » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anybody know software which will allow management of several
> operating systems.
> I am looking for software that at boot-time will allow me to choose from
> different operating systems?
> For example: I am interested in having Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows
> 3.1, and Linux in the same hard drive.

Theoretically no problem, if Windows NT wasn't _that_ dumb:
Windows NT (at least 3.51 did it) installs something in the
Idon'tknowwhat-partition/sector that will be destroyed by lilo. I'd
suggest, you partition with linux's fdisk, install all that MS-OSs and try
to get them to run (Just leave two partitions for linux and linux-swap).
Then, from your DOS/Windows 3.1 partition run loadlin to boot linux.

Win NT gives you a boot manager (which is a pain to set up) that allows you
to either boot DOS or Win NT. Maybe you are able to talk it into booting
Windows 95, too. From DOS you can boot Windows 3.1 or linux.

Hope that works for you

Rudi

--

         | | | | |
       \   _____   /

Post by Philippe Le Fol » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > Does anybody know software which will allow management of several
> > operating systems.
> > I am looking for software that at boot-time will allow me to choose from
> > different operating systems?
> > For example: I am interested in having Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows
> > 3.1, and Linux in the same hard drive.

No trouble with Linux, you just have to install lilo after window95
or NT because they force there own boot loader.

I personnaly have machines with Linux/Nt4 Linux/Nt3.5 Linux/W95
and it works fine. Now if you want to have NT and Window95 on the
same parition you just have to take two different directories for
OS installation. This will make you two reperitories and
many DLLs will be installed twice, user defaults and options
set under Word with W95 wont be seen from Word under NT and ....

Trouble: each time you will reinstalled NT or W95 Lilo multi boot
will be broken, in this case just take your Linux boot floppy.
Use root=/dev/hda2  (if Linux under 2th IDE partition) log has
root and type lilo, this will rebuilt your lilo bootstrap and
multi boot will work again.

From Dos and W3.1 loadlin works, I never test them it should work
under W95, I will be very surprized that it could work from NT.

Last thing: if your disk is small you can place Linux swap under dos
partition, in Windows tmp dir with following commands:
 # if not avaliable create swap area
 #SWAPFILE=/dosC/tmp/.linux.swp; export SWAP_FILE
 #if test -f "$SWAPFILE"
 #then
 #  echo "validated SWAP onto old $SWAPFILE"
 #else
 #  echo "WARNING: create new swap area $SWAPFILE"
 #  mkdir -p /dosC/tmp
 #  dd if=/dev/zero of=$SWAPFILE bs=1024 count=32768
 #  /sbin/mkswap $SWAPFILE 32768
 #  sync
 #fi
 #/sbin/swapon $SWAPFILE

Philippe Le Foll

Quote:> Theoretically no problem, if Windows NT wasn't _that_ dumb:

Post by David D. Gitchel » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anybody know software which will allow management of several
> operating systems.
> I am looking for software that at boot-time will allow me to choose from
> different operating systems?
> For example: I am interested in having Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows
> 3.1, and Linux in the same hard drive.

        As you have seen from some of the other posts, what you wish
        to do can be fairly easily done.  I'm currently using OS/2
        boot manager to switch between Linux, NT 4, and Win95, but
        it can all be easily managed with NT's boot manager, and
        the bootpart utility, along with lilo and dd under Linux.

        The MSDos stuff will pretty easily manage multiple boot
        between its various versions if you install in the right
        order, and don't install into the same Windows directory.

        Install DOS and 3.1 first to your C: partition.  Then install
        Win95 to a *different* directory on the C: partition.  Win95's
        boot menu (in response to the F8 key) will allow you to boot
        back into the previous DOS version and Win3.1, if you desire.
        Then install NT to a different partition, but leave the C:
        partition as the active partition while you are doing that.
        NT will set up a boot menu that will allow you to boot into
        your old DOS (Win95), so that you can choose between NT and
        Win95.  If you choose Win95 from that menu, you can still
        use the F8 key while it is booting to switch to DOS/Win3.1.

        Now the tricky part: adding Linux to the NT boot manager.
        Thanks to Gilles Vollant, you can get his 'bootpart' utility at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm
        and follow his instructions.  That's the easiest way. :)
        You can even fix the MsDos boot, Win3.1, and Win95 boots
        with his 'bootpart' utility, if things go wrong along the way.

        Enjoy!

-- Dave
#include <std_disclaimer.h> /* I speak for myself, only. */|
LCDR David D. Gitchell, USN (Retired),   Hutchinson, KS, USA

Post by MarkoE » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > > Does anybody know software which will allow management of several
> > > operating systems.
> > > I am looking for software that at boot-time will allow me to
> choose from
> > > different operating systems?
> > > For example: I am interested in having Windows 95, Windows NT,
> Windows
> > > 3.1, and Linux in the same hard drive.

> No trouble with Linux, you just have to install lilo after window95
> or NT because they force there own boot loader.

If you have Win95 release 2 (the OEM version) or the newMemphis with the
VFAT32, LILO can't manage them. It seems
that Linux could look this partition with a patch for the Kernel,
but at the moment it don't works right, and anyway LILO can't
manage it.

You have to make a very little partition (1 Mb) as the first partition
of the disk, and install a software like Partition Magic, that supports
the VFAT 32. Look for it with some search engine on the web.

HTH

multiple operating systems

Post by Troy W » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Well, LILO is the answer.  But there are two ways, one of them already

that you have to install Linux after win95 or NT because they FUBAR the
MBR (master boot record).  He's right.

The other is to install Linux and put (or install) LILO to a floppy,
_then_ install NT.  When you boot the machine, put the LILO floppy in,
and boot Linux.  Edit '/etc/lilo.conf' so it looks something like this:

        boot=/dev/hda
        map=/boot/map
        install=/boot/boot.b
        prompt
        timeout=50
        image=/boot/vmlinuz
                label=linux
                root=/dev/hda3
                read-only
        other=/dev/hda1
                label=dos
                table=/dev/hda

Be careful what you type.  In particular, specify the correct
partitions.  For example, my Linux partition is '/dev/hda3'.  Yours may
differ.  _PLEASE_ change accordingly!  When you've edited the file,
save, exit.  Then,

        # lilo

to install (that's "lilo" at the root prompt).  Then you're set to go.
Take out the LILO boot floppy, and you're set.  You'll get a prompt:
'dos' to boot to win95/NT, 'linux' to boot...Yeah, you got it.  Just
change the 'label=' value to change.  After making a change to
'lilo.conf', be sure to run 'lilo' again.

Good luck.
--

        --troy

                http://www.sixdegrees.com
                212.583.1234 (x42)

Post by Mats Andtbac » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>Well, LILO is the answer.  But there are two ways, one of them already

>that you have to install Linux after win95 or NT because they FUBAR the
>MBR (master boot record).  He's right.

FWIW, NTWS 4.0 doesn't. it only touched the partition's boot record on
my system, at least. '95 hoses the MBR, though.

Quote:>The other is to install Linux and put (or install) LILO to a floppy,
>_then_ install NT.

a LILO floppy is a lifesaver in most any event. let the lesser OS's
hose themselves all they want, so long as you can get Linux up to
clean up the mess they leave...
--
        "Yes i'm lonely..."
                _Yer Blues_, Lennon / McCartney

Post by Albert D. Cahal » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Well, LILO is the answer.  But there are two ways, one of them already

> that you have to install Linux after win95 or NT because they FUBAR the
> MBR (master boot record).  He's right.

Only WinNT does that. WinNT 4.0 left my LILO boot sector.

Quote:> The other is to install Linux and put (or install) LILO to a floppy,
> _then_ install NT.  When you boot the machine, put the LILO floppy in,
> and boot Linux.  Edit '/etc/lilo.conf' so it looks something like this:
> You'll get a prompt: 'dos' to boot to win95/NT, 'linux' to boot...
> Yeah, you got it.  Just change the 'label=' value to change.
> After making a change to 'lilo.conf', be sure to run 'lilo' again.

If you run WinNT and use LILO, make one of these true:
  a.  Run the very latest version of LILO.
  b.  Never run NT disk manager under any circumstances.

Better yet, keep LILO out of your master boot record.
The NT boot manager gives you a nice menu with NT, NT in
safe mode, DOS, and Linux. You must add Linux of course.

Here is config file #1, /etc/lilo.conf:

boot = /dos/bootsect.lin   # LILO in DOS file for NT boot
delay = 30                 # 3 seconds to select safe kernel
vga = normal               # force sane state

image = /dos/linux/kernel/2-1-55.ker  # anywhere LILO can reach
#  append="aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"      # adjust as needed
  root = /dev/hda7
  label = 2-1-47
  read-only

image = /dos/linux/kernel/2-0-28.ker
#  append="aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"       # adjust as needed
  root = /dev/hda7
  label = safe
  read-only

Config file #2 is C:\BOOT.INI for the NT bootloader.
Default to DOS in case some idiot plays with the power switch.

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Plain old DOS"
C:\bootsect.lin="Linux"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="WinNT Workstation 4"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="WinNT Workstation 4 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="WinNT Workstation 4 #2"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="WinNT Workstation 4 #2 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

Make a file /dos/bootsect.lin (C:\bootsect.lin) with the dd command,
then run /sbin/lilo to install LILO on it. Now you get this:

1. NT boot loader displays a nice menu.
2. You choose Linux.
3. LILO prompt for 3 seconds. (allows alternate kernel or init)
4. Linux kernel boots.

WARNING: If you already have LILO in your master boot record,
you will need the WinNT rescue disk to install a new MBR.
The default Microsoft one will work just fine.

Albert Cahalan <acahalan at cs.uml.edu> My address may be mangled to
avoid junk email. Please check it if you wish to respond to a news post.

Post by Peter Pointn » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: If you have Win95 release 2 (the OEM version) or the newMemphis with the
: VFAT32, LILO can't manage them. It seems
: that Linux could look this partition with a patch for the Kernel,
: but at the moment it don't works right, and anyway LILO can't
: manage it.

There is no need for LILO to know something about the filesystem
that an operating system uses. As long as you have a linux partition
to store some LILO-data, it can boot any other OS stored on a partition
reachable with BIOS-calls.
Some time ago I used LILO to boot an * Unix-variant. (The OS/2 boot
manager could not do the job, because this unix insisted on booting only
from the active partition.) There was no way to mount the partition under
Linux.

Peter

1. Multiple Operating Systems w/ Boot Manager (OS/2 2.1) [partition NIGHTMARE]

: I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma.

: I have 3 drives: hd #1 - 125 meg partitioned in 1 drive as C:
:                hd #2 - 340 meg partitioned in 1 drive as d:
:                hd #3 - 1600 meg partitioned in 1 drive (510 meg) as e:
:                       *1100 some megabytes totally free
:                       *this drive is on the second eide channel

: I recently purchased a 1.6 gig for my computer (greaty overdue). Now,
: with all this extra disk space, I can install some new operating systems.
: Big problem. How do operating systems handle booting when there are
: several of them? Now I have some choices.. uh.. make that like one
: choice: OS/2 Boot Manager from v2.1.

: I intend to install Linux, OS/2 v2.1 and Windows 95 upon my system which
: already has Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1. Now, using Boot Manager, is it
: possible to load all 4 different configurations?

: Perhaps you may have a similiar configuration. I would greatly appreciate
: any and all insight that you can provide for me, because I don't feel
: like jumping head-first into murky waters. Thank you in advance.

: .. sorry if I overly cross-posted, I tried to keep it to just a few
: newsgroups.

: -me

  It is not a big deal using OS/2's boot manager to boot DOS/Windoze
operating systems--I have no idea about Win 95.  As far as Linux, there
may be some problems with a disk on the second IDE interface, but I use
OS/2 to select Linux on a separate partition where LILO lies in wait.
There is a LILO faq and some other docs on LILO that come with (at least
Slackware) distributions.  They are also at sunsite and its mirrors.
Get them, read them, understand them.  It will help a lot.

--
Joe Fischer                                          Galena, Ohio, USA
  WB8TDO                                               (central Ohio)

2. AMD on Alliant FX/40 or FX/80...

3. Booting Multiple Operating Systems

4. NetBSD on IBM Thinkpad 700c PS/2

5. Running multiple operating systems o

6. DIALING NUMERIC PAGER

7. Multiple operating systems

8. mount, umount floppies as user??

9. Installin multiple operating systems

10. Software : Install Multiple Operating Systems

11. implementing multiple operating systems

12. configuring LILO to run multiple operating systems

13. Multiple Operating systems