Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem

Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem

Post by Gilles Gagn » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

We are developping an MPEG2 video over ATM client/server application on Linux
and we seem to have a problem sometimes. Our application uses the following
cutting edge features available with Linux, version 2.0.14:

        - Efficient Network 155Mb/s ATM adapters, drivers and software from
          Werner Almesberger at LRC, version 0.21;
        - The kernel level Pthreads from Xavier Leroy, version 0.14;
        - The Real Time Clock extension features to regulate the Constant Bit
          Rate MPEG2 video transmission from the server by Paul Gortmaker;

to name a few.

Once in a while, we get the 'Couldn't get a free page.....' message poping up
stopping a thread from our client application and then terminating the server
process. I would appreciate if someone could give us pointers to where we should
look in order for us to ideally get rid of the problem. It would seem that it
is network related because we saw this message appear in another network situation
unrelated to our application. It would be nice to know if and how we can increase
the number of pages available to the kernel assuming this is a likely solution.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Gilles

Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem

Post by Gilles Gagn » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I forgot I am not on my workstation at work but at home on our tiny two
Linux machines network and communicating via SLIP. Please reply to

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Gilles.

Post by Albert D. Cahal » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> We are developping an MPEG2 video over ATM client/server application
> on Linux and we seem to have a problem sometimes. Our application
> uses the following cutting edge features available with Linux,
> version 2.0.14:

I strongly suggest an upgrade to 2.0.24. Everyone, including 1.2.13
users, should upgrade to Linux 2.0.24.

Quote:>  - Efficient Network 155Mb/s ATM adapters, drivers and software
>    from Werner Almesberger at LRC, version 0.21;
>  - The kernel level Pthreads from Xavier Leroy, version 0.14;
>  - The Real Time Clock extension features to regulate the Constant Bit
>    Rate MPEG2 video transmission from the server by Paul Gortmaker;
> Once in a while, we get the 'Couldn't get a free page.....' message
> poping up stopping a thread from our client application and then
> terminating the server process. I would appreciate if someone could
> give us pointers to where we should look in order for us to ideally
> get rid of the problem. It would seem that it is network related
> because we saw this message appear in another network situation
> unrelated to our application. It would be nice to know if and how
> we can increase the number of pages available to the kernel assuming
> this is a likely solution.

Add this to /etc/rc.local or equivalent:

# Reserve more free pages, as suggested by Michael K. Johnson:
echo "Reserving more free pages in /proc/sys/vm/freepages:"
echo 300 400 500 > /proc/sys/vm/freepages
cat /proc/sys/vm/freepages
Albert Cahalan
acahalan at cs.uml.edu (no junk mail please - I will hunt you down)

Post by david parso » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> We are developping an MPEG2 video over ATM client/server application
>> on Linux and we seem to have a problem sometimes. Our application
>> uses the following cutting edge features available with Linux,
>> version 2.0.14:

>I strongly suggest an upgrade to 2.0.24. Everyone, including 1.2.13
>users, should upgrade to Linux 2.0.24.

   Hmm?

   append=" st=512,384" works just fine in 1.2.13

   in 2.0.24, the machine comes up and all is well until I attempt
   to do a tape backup (or do mt status), at which point the operation
   fails and

Oct 31 14:06:10 pell kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0).
Oct 31 14:06:10 pell kernel: st0: Can't allocate tape buffer.

   magically appear in my syslog.

   kmalloc() is a really spiffy system call, but it doesn't work worth
   anything when you attempt to allocate an SGI-compatable (>=128k)
   tape buffer.

   I don't think I'll be 'upgrading' today.

                 ____

                  \/

1. Request about Error msg: "Couldn't get a free page"

Hello,

I am running a text retrieval program on a linux machine which indexes a
0.75 GB database creating indexes of about 0.5 GB.  This program has run
successfully on another linux box.  The program is very i/o intensive.
Could someone explain the error message "Couldn't get a free page" ??
Is this a RAM problem? I recently tried to upgrade from 64 MB to 256 MB
and had all kinds of errors.  Right now I have 126 MB in it, but running
at 64 MB.  Could the error message be at the level of the scsi controller?
Interestingly, the program completes despite the error messages.

Thanks for your input.  I have found this forum to be most useful on
previous occassions.
~
Padmini

Padmini Srinivasan
The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA - 52242

Fax: 319-335-5374

2. P6 OpCode descriptions on Intel Secrets home page able

3. getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

4. Help with ViaVoice for Linux and UK English.

5. df problem

6. Couldn't get a free page... problem (causes filesystem problems)

7. multiple peripheals on same serial port

8. Please Help: "Couldn't Get a Free Page" Problem!!!

9. Problem with the message "Couldn't get a free page ....."

10. Couldn't get a free page... problem

11. Free as in 'Freedom' not 'Free Beer'

12. v1.1.74 -- Kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....