ethernet over non ethernet hardware

Post by Frank Neub » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:51:45

Hi
I have to write a device driver for an PCI/VME bridge. This driver should
use the ethernet protocol including ARP.
The functions open() close() read() write() ... etc works well.

How can I use these functions to implement the eternet protocol for this
hardware. It should work with kernel 2.2 an in the future with 2.4

Does anyone know related links (WWW, mailing lists, newsgroups etc) to
similar projects e.g ethernet over serial lines.
Maybe there is a HOWTO or tutorial for this matter?

Many thanks in advance
Frank

--
     _/_/_/_/ _//   _/ Frank Neuber

   _/_/_/   _/ _/ _/

 _/       _/    // http://www.opensource-systemberatung.de

Post by Kaz Kylhe » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:03:17

>Does anyone know related links (WWW, mailing lists, newsgroups etc) to
>similar projects e.g ethernet over serial lines.
>Maybe there is a HOWTO or tutorial for this matter?

I have implemented ethernet emulation in the Mobitex radio modem driver.  In a
nutshell, your driver's header building function has to construct the 14 byte
Ethernet MAC headers for outgoing packets. You later thunk them to whatever
format the actual network needs. Similarly, the headers of received packets are
thunked to ethernet format before being handed off to the kernel.  Also when
you register your device, you specify the ethernet arp hardware
type.

(The reason I did this was to make packet analysis tools like tcpdump work with
the driver).

ethernet over non ethernet hardware

Post by Frank Neub » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:58:17

Thanks for this quick answer ...
I have not so much experience in writing network device drivers. I look for a
device independent ethernet driver module. This module should base on simple
functions like open(), close() etc.
I heard from an implementation ethernet over TCP/IP. (The reason was to
connect two offices over an ISDN line including ARP, IPX and TCP/IP)
But I can not found the source :-(

Quote:>I have implemented ethernet emulation in the Mobitex radio modem driver.

Is this a change in the original module or another module?

Quote:>In a
>nutshell, your driver's header building function has to construct the 14 byte
>Ethernet MAC headers for outgoing packets. You later thunk them to whatever
>format the actual network needs. Similarly, the headers of received packets are
>thunked to ethernet format before being handed off to the kernel.  Also when
>you register your device, you specify the ethernet arp hardware
>type.

Interesting. After registration my device as ethernet arp hardware I have an
ethX ethernet device? But, how can I do that.
Which steps are importend to register my device as an ethernet device?
Do you have an advice for some related documentation?

Would you be so kind to give me a look at your driver?

thanks in advance
Frank

--
     _/_/_/_/ _//   _/ Frank Neuber