Video console difference between Redhat 6.2 and 7.1/7.2

Video console difference between Redhat 6.2 and 7.1/7.2

Post by CKLE » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 15:09:20

Hi,

I have a laptop which has a slight defective video chip. It seems to work
only in certain text mode. I am able to install and run Redhat 6.2 on it
(but the network card did not work) but when I tried installing Redhat 7.2
on it, the screen comes up with the Grub boot message followed by "Uncompressing
kernel". The rest of the boot up messages and the console did NOT appear. The
system works because I am able to use the Serial Port as well as Telnet into
the laptop.

I have tried changing the VGA mode during the boot up and all of them have the
same effect.

What is different between the Linux 2.2.x and Linux 2.4.x kernel vga console
routines ?? Can I compile a kernel with the correct settings to bring back
the previous behaviour ?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

thanks

CK