AMD PCNET Ethernet Card setup problem

Post by Homer Y » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I really need help to setup OpenLinux 1.1 from Caldera.
My Linux work fine except the network card cannot be boot and is not
detect at all.
My machine is Compaq Deskpro 5133 and the network card is built in.

My previous machine with ne2000 clone works prefect fine with my network
and it is running RedHat 5.0.

Need some pointer so I can setup OpenLinux as a webserver using Netscape
product.

Thanks in advance.

-hy

p.s. I know all the basic ip address , DNS , named and etc... for the
network software part but not the hardware device driver and setup.

Post by David Carte » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I really need help to setup OpenLinux 1.1 from Caldera.
>My Linux work fine except the network card cannot be boot and is not
>detect at all.
>My machine is Compaq Deskpro 5133 and the network card is built in.
>My previous machine with ne2000 clone works prefect fine with my network
>and it is running RedHat 5.0.
>Need some pointer so I can setup OpenLinux as a webserver using Netscape
>product.
>Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience with a true AMD card, but last year I was
using an Allied Telesis AT1500 card with Linux 2.0.30, which uses an
AMD-compatible chipset.  I had to recompile the kernel to include AMD
Lance support, and then everything worked.  I don't know if the chip in
your Compaq is the same one used in the AT-1500 card or not, but it's
worth a try.  If it's not, try other AMD drivers in the kernel.  (Might as
well enable drivers for any AT or AMD net card in the kernel setup, and
watch the bootup messages to see which one works.)

        Wish you luck,
        David

--

PGP Key IDs ==> BD609CFD ** F3F740B5 ** CB802225 <== (2048 bits)
PGP Key Fingerprints (in order of key preference)

AMD PCNET Ethernet Card setup problem

Post by David Be » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have a Hitachi MX133 Notebook with an AMD PCNET-based PCI card.  It was
necessary to recompile the kernel with CONFIG_LANCE and CONFIG_LANCE32,
and also turn off PNP in the BIOS to get the card to work. You can verify
that your card is detected by seeing the following lines on boot:

Found PCnet/PCI at 0xfce0, irq 9.
eth0: PCnet/PCI-II 79C970A at 0xfce0, 00 c0 9f 00 41 05 assigned IRQ 9, no DMA n
eeded.

-David

:
: My previous machine with ne2000 clone works prefect fine with my network
: and it is running RedHat 5.0.
:
: Need some pointer so I can setup OpenLinux as a webserver using Netscape
: product.
:
: Thanks in advance.
:
: -hy
:
: p.s. I know all the basic ip address , DNS , named and etc... for the
: network software part but not the hardware device driver and setup.

Class of '99                                                    (916) 455-0325
UC-Davis School of Medicine                    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~dbetz

Post by Matthew Hannig » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I really need help to setup OpenLinux 1.1 from Caldera.
>My Linux work fine except the network card cannot be boot and is not
>detect at all.
>My machine is Compaq Deskpro 5133 and the network card is built in.

>My previous machine with ne2000 clone works prefect fine with my network
>and it is running RedHat 5.0.
> [ .. ]

I have a Compaq Deskpro 575 with an AMD PCnet card in it working
just fine under Linux (Redhat 4.2).   I don't know what kernel
OL1.1 uses but I do know that AMD PCnet support is a fairly
recent thing.

It's funny actually; I borrowed a NE2000 clone to install Linux
on this machine over the network because I didn't have a CDROM
drive.  Anyway, after I finished, I halted, ripped out the ne2000 card,
reenabled the inbuilt AMD PCnet card (using the F10 Compaq menu
on boot) and restarted.

THE MACHINE CAME UP NETWORKED ANYWAY!  What the F$%&#$!

What had happened is that since the previous
version on Linux I installed on this machine, AMD PCnet support
had made it in, and even though I configured the machine to use
ne2000 network driver, Linux saw it was missing and somehow loaded
the AMD PCnet driver when it recognised it.

So Linux networking even works when you do your best to kill it.
Cool.

Another story: some recent IBM machines here have a crystal ethernet
driver which I had never even heard about before.  I managed
to get it going by downloading the source for the driver off the
internet, floppyneting to the machine, compiled and modloaded it
and configured it all without needing a reboot.  This is the
first time I ha ever compiled or loaded a module for Linux ever.
(Last time I compiled the kernel they didn't have modules)

By comparison, people with NT had a rotten time getting it going.
I not going to guess at the number of reboots they required :-)

--
        -Matt

1. AMD PCNet PCI Ethernet Card Problem

Hi,

I have problems setting up my ethernet Card in RedHat 4.0

I cannot connect outside, nor nobody can connect me from outside, even
with a ping. I have checked the configuration files (hosts, resolv.conf,
etc.) with other Linux systems (with different ethernet cards) and they
seem ok.

I have observed that when booting, Linux detects the card at the correct
interruption and says it needs no DMA. Nevertheless, once booted, if I
make 'ifconfig' it tells me that the card is using DMA channel 4.

Could it be this the problem? How can I solve it?

Thank you.

2. Win NT with Linux and Win 95

3. activating AMD PCnet Ethernet card

4. Linux and Win95 File Security

5. ethernet card with AMD-pcNET FAST III supported?

6. date variable

7. Anyone able to get an AMD PCNET ethernet card running?

8. qpopper for rh5 alpha

9. AMD PCNet ethernet card and FTP installation of Redhat 5.1

10. Net problem with an AMD PCnet PCI card (newbie question)

11. Problems with AMD PCNet PCI card

12. PCnet-PCI2, AMD 79C970AKC, LanPro EN-5100, ethernet

13. AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter with Linux?