Linux boot from PCMCIA flash memory card.

Linux boot from PCMCIA flash memory card.

Post by Luca Gor » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm developing an embedded system based on linux with:
486 + 8Mb+ custom A/D+ flash memory card and NO HD.
I don't know if is possible make linux boot from PCMCIA 2Mbyte flash
memory card and load a reduced kernel. Does anyone already solved this
problem?
Thanks for the answers.

Luca Gori.

Linux boot from PCMCIA flash memory card.

Post by H. Peter Anv » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

Quote:

> I'm developing an embedded system based on linux with:
> 486 + 8Mb+ custom A/D+ flash memory card and NO HD.
> I don't know if is possible make linux boot from PCMCIA 2Mbyte flash
> memory card and load a reduced kernel. Does anyone already solved this
> problem?
> Thanks for the answers.

Is it possible?  Sure!  Has it been done?  No, not unless your flash
card simulates a floppy- or hard disk in the BIOS (in which case it is
just like booting from normal media.)

You don't need a reduced kernel in 2MB -- Linux stores its kernel
compressed, and is on the order of 400-500K compressed.  If you want
to do run-in-place, however, then you're going to have to make some
changes.

        -hpa
--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key