/dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

Post by Alasdair McAndre » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm trying to recompile my kernel (2.2.6) to allow sound on my
laptop.  However, the various config mechanisms (menuconfig; xconfig)
don't seem to allow the option "/dev/dsp and /dev/audio support" in
the Sound part of the configuration.

This means that when I try (as root) something like

  cat soundfile.au > /dev/dsp

I get an error message telling me that the device is not recognized.

How do I overcome this?  I don't particularly want to upgrade my
kernel as everything else is working beautifully.

cheers,
        Alasdair McAndrew

School of Communications and Informatics     Phone: +61 3 9688 4344
Victoria University of Technology            Fax:   +61 3 9688 4050

Melbourne, Vic 8001, Australia         http://cams.vut.edu.au/~amca

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

Post by Tony Angel » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

        Hi.  It's my (limited) understanding that those special files that you
mention are created by your sound device driver.  I would suggest that
you make sure you have the appropriate driver and it works correctly.

> Hi there,

> I'm trying to recompile my kernel (2.2.6) to allow sound on my
> laptop.  However, the various config mechanisms (menuconfig; xconfig)
> don't seem to allow the option "/dev/dsp and /dev/audio support" in
> the Sound part of the configuration.

> This means that when I try (as root) something like

>   cat soundfile.au > /dev/dsp

> I get an error message telling me that the device is not recognized.

> How do I overcome this?  I don't particularly want to upgrade my
> kernel as everything else is working beautifully.

> cheers,
>         Alasdair McAndrew

> School of Communications and Informatics     Phone: +61 3 9688 4344
> Victoria University of Technology            Fax:   +61 3 9688 4050

> Melbourne, Vic 8001, Australia         http://cams.vut.edu.au/~amca

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. Netscape crahes with Java

3. 2.2.1 and /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

4. Does anybody have solution ?

5. Sound config: /dev/audio vs /dev/dsp

6. X help and more

7. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

8. 3Com Etherlink III on Toshiba laptop?

9. Using /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

10. /dev/audio & /dev/dsp problem

11. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine

12. How to get clear sound from /dev/dsp(/dev/audio)

13. /dev/audio, /dev/dsp, BUSY?!?!