cdrom not seen

Post by Jason Wa » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

i have just purchased the developers set of linux (sep96) and have part
installed it. where i am having trouble is i can not get my cdrom to be
seen.i know you can copy the cd to disks but i am trying to avoid that as i
would like to install straight from cd.
 It is a creative sb16 the badge ontop of it say model no.cr581b
manafactured june 1996. i have tried installing slackware v3.0 using the
boot disk of sbpcd.i, bare.i, & mcd.i
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jason Way

cdrom not seen

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: i have just purchased the developers set of linux (sep96) and have part
: installed it. where i am having trouble is i can not get my cdrom to be
: seen.i know you can copy the cd to disks but i am trying to avoid that as i
: would like to install straight from cd.
:  It is a creative sb16 the badge ontop of it say model no.cr581b
: manafactured june 1996. i have tried installing slackware v3.0 using the
: boot disk of sbpcd.i, bare.i, & mcd.i
: any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is on the TERTIARY IDE interface. You must specify the
interface location at the bootprompt.

Example: ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11

This depends on how your system is set up. This is documented in:
   linux/Documentation/ide.txt

Make sure it is in MASTER mode, and then it will appear as /dev/hde

Good Luck!

--
Andrew E. Mileski

Linux Plug-and-Play Project Leader http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
PGP Public keys are available from http://www.redhat.com/~aem/pgp-keys.txt

cdrom not seen

Post by Micha » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Jason,

I'm having the same problem, and have been told to order the Newest
Slackware96 CD which has the 2.0 kernel, and the problem corrected.

Michael

On 10 Sep 1996 14:05:53 GMT, "Jason Way"

>i have just purchased the developers set of linux (sep96) and have part
>installed it. where i am having trouble is i can not get my cdrom to be
>seen.i know you can copy the cd to disks but i am trying to avoid that as i
>would like to install straight from cd.
> It is a creative sb16 the badge ontop of it say model no.cr581b
>manafactured june 1996. i have tried installing slackware v3.0 using the
>boot disk of sbpcd.i, bare.i, & mcd.i
>any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thank you

>Jason Way

1. Another Mitsumi cdrom NOT seen

   I'm reletively new to the Linux universe and have a seemingly easy
problem.

   I have already installed the 1.2.13 kernal and noticed during the
boot-up that my Mitsumi cdrom's format is not recognized. After doing some
reading and some trying, I was unable to mount the device NOR see how I
can use the rdev command to install the cdrom. Before I start the lonely,
but fun filled, journey in re-compiling a new kernal, wouldn't it be
easier if I did the following-----

   In the /etc/fstab directory include the line:

     /dev/mcd=0x300,10   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

     Where XXXXXXXXXXXX would be some unknown parameters.

    The other question, what would be the 'unknown parameters?'

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Multiuser backups with "dump"?

3. cdrom not seen

4. Help: Update Redhat 4.1 to 5.1

5. cdrom not seen!!

6. Mounting Root Filesystem over NFS

7. cdrom not seen

8. Time zone

9. Again: "Infamous" RH 5.0 Install Panic (CDROM not seen)

10. Creative Labs CDROM not seen be Slackware

11. CDROM drive sees CDROM, not files inside... why?

12. AHA2940 seen, HD & CDROM not (1.3.40)

13. installer not seeing CDROM