/dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine

Post by Christian Uhd » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hi all,

how does the OSS module handle the /dev/dsp and /dev/audio devices ?
there is no option available in the kernel setup, in 2.0.x it is.

if i try to write into the device, following error occurs :
bash: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

any clues ?

bye
chris.

--
IT Support Grp, Department of Mathematics - Bonn University
{PGP|GPG} key available - ICQ #5068320

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> how does the OSS module handle the /dev/dsp and /dev/audio devices ?

Like normal charecter devices.

Quote:> if i try to write into the device, following error occurs :
> bash: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

Did you open() it first?  You have to call open() on it before writing
data.  Then, did you set it up to recieve the proper data format with
ioctl()?  (Though, that should just give you noise)

--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

alt.binaries.punk: for those of us too
        punk to pay money for the music.

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. problem configuring DHCP for multiple networks

3. Sound config: /dev/audio vs /dev/dsp

4. Shell accounting

5. How to get clear sound from /dev/dsp(/dev/audio)

6. Xconfig Warning

7. Help with using libcdaudio

8. 2.2.1 and /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

9. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

10. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

11. problem linking support for /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

12. Using /dev/audio and /dev/dsp