Using LILO & System Commander

Post by Rob Thiel » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello Linux Folks,

It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
new to Linux.

Will genuinely appreciate your response.

Using LILO & System Commander

Post by Alexander Maryanchic » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
>want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
>up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
>way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
>prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
>the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
>in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
>it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
>new to Linux.

There is a bosh in the readme file of System Commander.
Ignore it !
Install LiLo to the boot sector of the root partition & enjoy :-).
If SC fails to determinate Linux boot - use "Add OS" feature in SC setup.

I use ChOS (http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/)
It is not as automatical as Syatem Commander,
but have many "Linux-oriented" features.

                        Best regards.

                                            Alexander.

Post by brent verne » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello Linux Folks,

> It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
> want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
> up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
> way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
> prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
> the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
> in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
> it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
> new to Linux.

> Will genuinely appreciate your response.

if you really need to use sys comm, you should install LILO to the
partition that mounts as /, then configure sys comm to boot linux to
that partition. LILO doesn't need the MBR. the RH lilo config allows you
to choose where you want LILO to be installed. i forget, but i think
'liloconfig' will allow you to do if you've already installed RH.

hth,
--brent

1. Using LILO & System Commander

Hello Linux Folks,

It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
new to Linux.

Will genuinely appreciate your response.

2. USR BigPicture Video Capture Card.

3. "el cheapo computer"

4. Booting using lilo and system commander

5. sendmail

6. LILO w/& System Commander?

7. Trouble Loading SVGA Driver in Linux 6.1

8. LILO & System Commander woes

9. System Commander & LILO?

10. Solved: DualBoot NT4 & Solaris using System Commander

11. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

12. System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo