What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?

What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?

Post by George Zhan » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:49:42

Hello, Everybody,

I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs
in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will
use are ASM ,C and C++.

Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ?

Thanks in advance!

George.
2003-06-26

Post by Grant Edwar » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:19:42

> Hello, Everybody,

> I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs

Hint: Around here, "system" refers to the kernel.  If you're
doing kernel work, fine.  Otherwise, this isn't the right
newsgroup.

Quote:> in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will
> use are ASM ,C and C++.

> Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ?

For application work, I would choose Python rather than C or C++.

If you want to use C and C++, then...

  gcc
  make
  <a text editor>

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My uncle Murray
                                  at               conquered Egypt in 53

What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?

Post by Christopher Brown » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:53:09

Quote:> Hello, Everybody,

> I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs
> in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will
> use are ASM ,C and C++.

> Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ?

GCC, of course, along with GNU Make, and whatever text editor you
like.

The Linux OS is developed in C, using GCC, and proposals for changes
to that are strongly opposed.

In particular, the Kernel FAQ has a standard response to the usual C++
question...

  "Why don't we rewrite the Linux kernel in C++?"
  <http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s15-3>
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxkernel.html
"The   most  precisely-explained   and   voluminously-documented  user

1. Start developing applications,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps

I want to really learn how to write good applications under Linux, but
I'm not sure where to begin.  I have a background in C++ from way back
-- Borland C++ 3.5 for MS-DOS AND 4.0 for Win 3.x, but I'm not sure
where to begin in Linux.

I use so many applications written by folks like me who just found a
need for the app and wrote it... I want to do this and contribute as
well.

I'm looking for books, websites, tips and ideas, or any resource which
would help me do this.  I'd like to use C++ and write apps for X and
eventually get into writing network apps.

Thanks for any info or help.

Keegan.

2. pnp modem setup

3. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

4. Where did MicroShaft go?

5. Choosing a 3rd party Sys-Mon. tool

6. LINUX as course teacher! (new use w/cgibin, etc)!

7. DVD/CD player question

8. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

9. Coverage Analysis Tools/Software Testing Tools for Linux Apps

10. Using Linux to develop Sun X-app

11. First steps in developing C++ apps in linux

12. Linux smartphone model to develop small apps