METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by MW R » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Austin, Texas-October 1, 1998-Metrowerks, Inc., (NASDAQ: MTWKF, TSE/ME:
MWK) today announces their intention to ship the award-winning CodeWarrior
software development tools to be hosted on the Linux operating system
targeting the x86 and PowerPC-based personal computers processors.

CodeWarrior development tools will include a project manager, editors,
browsers, compilers and de*s and will support development for C/C++
and Java.  Linux support will be included at no additional cost in
Metrowerks' award-winning CodeWarrior Professional tools, which currently
support development for Windows and Mac OS.  The manufacturers' list price
for CodeWarrior Professional is US$449.  Academic pricing for CodeWarrior
Professional is US$119.   Support for Linux in CodeWarrior Professional is
scheduled for Release 5 in the Spring, 1999. Embedded tools are scheduled
for release later that year and will be priced at parity with other
Windows-hosted embedded development tools.

CodeWarrior project files in the Linux development tools will be portable
across platforms, which enable developers to easily migrate between
Windows, Macintosh, and Linux host systems with no downtime in learning
new tool sets.  Metrowerks' CodeWarrior development environment is the
only state-of-the-art development system that will run on all three
operating systems

"I've always found Metrowerks development tools to be extraordinary," said
Jeff Carr, president, Linux PPC.  "It makes us very happy to know that
Metrowerks will provide this outstanding software to Linux developers.
Finally, there is a development environment available that can match the
power of Linux."

"Metrowerks is deploying CodeWarrior for Linux in order to provide
developers with the ultimate mobility between the major development hosts
that consists of Windows, MacOS and Linux," said Greg Galanos, president
and chief technology officer, Metrowerks.  "Linux is an important
transition vector and development system for Unix developers that work on
non-proprietary Unix systems.  Metrowerks is committed to offering the
same powerful CodeWarrior development environment and tools as that found
on Window and MacOS for desktop development."

About Linux
Linux is the freely distributable, cooperatively-developed POSIX-based,
multi-user, multi-tasking operating system used worldwide. Linux is used
as a high value, fully-functional UNIX workstation for applications
ranging from Internet Servers to reliable workgroup computing.

About Metrowerks
Founded in 1985, Metrowerks develops, markets and supports CodeWarrior, a
total solution of software development tools including a project manager,
compiler, de* and editor. CodeWarrior runs on a number of operating
systems targeting the most popular microprocessors. Intended for use for
embedded systems or desktop computers, the cross-platform compilers
support C, C++, Java, and Pascal, and allow programmers to build
applications from one unique Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
CodeWarrior's cross-platform functionality was designed to provide
companies with a high-performance development tool set to improve
productivity and decrease customer's time-to-market.

###

Metrowerks, the Metrowerks logo and CodeWarrior are registered trademarks
of Metrowerks Inc. All other company and product names may be registered
trademarks or trademarks of their respective companies/holders, and are
hereby recognized.

Statements in this press release are forward looking statements that
involve risks and uncertainties, including successful and timely
development of the product and customer acceptance of the product.

--
Specials on Renewals, New Purchases, Books and Bundles
CW Pro Owners, check out the CW for Palm OS CrossGrade Special

METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by Andreas Kra » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

> Austin, Texas-October 1, 1998-Metrowerks, Inc., (NASDAQ: MTWKF, TSE/ME:
> MWK) today announces their intention to ship the award-winning CodeWarrior
> software development tools to be hosted on the Linux operating system
> targeting the x86 and PowerPC-based personal computers processors.

That are really great news. As a related question. Will there be at some
time Metrowerks Codewarrior for Linux Alpha (and perhaps Alpha NT)?

Andi
--

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/andi/   Inst. f. Computersprachen, TU Wien
tel: (+431) 58801/18511                  Argentinierstr. 8/4/1851

Post by MW R » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> That are really great news. As a related question. Will there be at some
> time Metrowerks Codewarrior for Linux Alpha (and perhaps Alpha NT)?

This is not planned at this time. I don't know what it takes to port to
various Linux platforms so I can't speculate on the future.

Ron

--
Specials on Renewals, New Purchases, Books and Bundles
CW Pro Owners, check out the CW for Palm OS CrossGrade Special

METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by Ben Combe » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> :> That are really great news. As a related question. Will there be at some
> :> time Metrowerks Codewarrior for Linux Alpha (and perhaps Alpha NT)?

> : This is not planned at this time.

> Why not?

> : I don't know what it takes to port to various Linux platforms so I
> : can't speculate on the future.

> Would you be so kind as to try and find out?

The main reason is that is would require writing a new compiler back
end for the Alpha chip, which would require more compiler engineering
resources.  Its not a trivial change -- the code generation for the
Alpha is quite a bit different that the PPC or x86.

We might do this in the future... it all depends on many factors:
market demand, partnerships with the chip manufacturers, and
feasiblity being three of them.
--

--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------

Post by Andreas Kra » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> Would you be so kind as to try and find out?

> The main reason is that is would require writing a new compiler back
> end for the Alpha chip, which would require more compiler engineering
> resources.  Its not a trivial change -- the code generation for the
> Alpha is quite a bit different that the PPC or x86.

Code generation for the Alpha is somewhat different to x86, but there
is really no difference in code generation for Alpha and PPC. In the
beginning the users are not interested in highly efficient code for the
Alpha, they are interested in your great development environment.

Quote:> We might do this in the future... it all depends on many factors:
> market demand, partnerships with the chip manufacturers, and
> feasiblity being three of them.

I can offer you partnership for Alpha code generation, especially for
JIT compilers for Java (http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/java/cacao/)

-

Post by Nathan Mye » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>> Would you be so kind as to try and find out?

>> The main reason is that is would require writing a new compiler back
>> end for the Alpha chip, which would require more compiler engineering
>> resources.  Its not a trivial change -- the code generation for the
>> Alpha is quite a bit different that the PPC or x86.

>Code generation for the Alpha is somewhat different to x86, but there
>is really no difference in code generation for Alpha and PPC. In the
>beginning the users are not interested in highly efficient code for the
>Alpha, they are interested in your great development environment.

There is a free clone of Code Warrior available, which works with
the gcc/egcs line of compilers, called Code Crusader.
Of course Egcs generates code for Alpha.
See http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/jcc/ .
I haven't tried it, I don't use IDEs.

There is some likelihood that Egcs can just drop into CW,
but of course you would need to build a cross PPC->Alpha
or x86->Alpha compiler to make it work because CW itself
won't run native on Alpha until MW gets around to porting
it for you.

--
Nathan Myers

Post by MW R » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> There is a free clone of Code Warrior available, which works with
> the gcc/egcs line of compilers, called Code Crusader.

This is not a clone of CodeWarrior!!   I believe the authors say they were
inspired by CodeWarrior.

 CodeWarrior is a full integrated Editor/De*/Browser/Project
Manager/Find/ Build/Run/Compiler/Disassembler/everything IDE.   No
conclusions about CodeWarrior can be derived from Code Crusader.

Ron

--

Post by Simon 'tufty' Staplet » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > There is a free clone of Code Warrior available, which works with
> > the gcc/egcs line of compilers, called Code Crusader.

> This is not a clone of CodeWarrior!!   I believe the authors say they were
> inspired by CodeWarrior.

>  CodeWarrior is a full integrated Editor/De*/Browser/Project
> Manager/Find/ Build/Run/Compiler/Disassembler/everything IDE.   No
> conclusions about CodeWarrior can be derived from Code Crusader.

Indeed.  Codewarrior is the *best* development environment I've ever
used.  It has its quirks, as do all IDEs, but basically, it rocks.
Codewarrior coming to LinuxPPC has to be some of the best news I've
heard for a long while.  Go and buy it, everyone!

Simon "Is that good enough for a free copy, Ron?" Stapleton

(Not affiliated in any way with Metrowerks except as a *very*
satisfied past customer)
--
 _______
| ----- |  Biased output from the demented brain of
||MacOS||  Simon Stapleton.
|| NOW ||
| ----- |  sstaple AT liffe DoT com
|   -+-.|  (if you can't figure it out...)
|???????|
 -------

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by Alexander Hind » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Ron-

Do you know if PalmPilot programming will be supported under
Linux?

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by Axel Bold » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Indeed.  Codewarrior is the *best* development environment I've ever
> used.  It has its quirks, as do all IDEs, but basically, it rocks.

I hear that it doesn't support exporting of Makefiles though. How is
that going to fly in a source sharing community like ours? Will I have
to buy CW in order to fix a bug in a package written with CW? Maybe
this is directed at closed source developers only though, in which
case I can't fix the bug period.

--

Post by MW R » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Do you know if PalmPilot programming will be supported under
> Linux?

I do not know, this probably is a decision for 3Com.

Ron

--
Specials on Renewals, New Purchases, Books and Bundles
CW Pro Owners, check out the CW for Palm OS CrossGrade Special

METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by MW R » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I hear that it doesn't support exporting of Makefiles though.

I understand that this is a concern in the  Linux community and I believe
we will address this.

thank you for your interest,

Ron

--

Post by Richard Krehbie » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> thank you for your interest,

> METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty

Can CodeWarrior be used for a kernel compile?

--
Richard Krehbiel, Kastle Systems, Arlington, VA, USA

METROWERKS ANNOUNCES CODEWARRIOR DEVELOPMENT TOOLS FOR LINUX

Post by Richard Knechte » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

<Snip>

Quote:> There is a free clone of Code Warrior available, which works with
> the gcc/egcs line of compilers, called Code Crusader.
> Of course Egcs generates code for Alpha.
> See http://www.veryComputer.com/~jafl/jcc/ .
> I haven't tried it, I don't use IDEs.

Code Crusader is great. With the addition of Code Medic (de*) it is
a nice package. AND it's FREE! IT won't cost you the $499 that
metrowerks will charge you. And the sourcecode is available so you can
change it if you want.  There is also a DND (drag and drop) protocol
available as well.

Not to downplay Metrowerks support for Linux (Which is great news for
the Linux community, another vendor supporting it.) But the cost seems a
little pricy to me.

RK.

1. Metrowerks Announces CodeWarrior Development Tools for Linux

http://www.metrowerks.com/db/Press.qry?function=PR&rowid=165

Excerpt:
"Austin, Texas-October 1, 1998-Metrowerks, Inc., (NASDAQ: MWKF, TSE/ME: MWK)
announced today their intention to ship the award-winning CodeWarrior
development tools to be hosted on the Linux operating system targeting desktop
development on x86- and PowerPC-based personal computers.

The CodeWarrior development tools for Linux will include a project manager,
editors, browsers, compilers and debuggers and will support development for
C/C++ and Java. Linux support will be included at no additional cost in
Metrowerks' award-winning CodeWarrior Professional tools which currently support
development for Windows and Mac OS. The manufacturer's list price for
CodeWarrior Professional is US$449. Academic pricing is US$119. Support for
Linux in CodeWarrior Professional is scheduled for Release 5 in the Spring,
1999. Embedded tools are scheduled for release later that year and will be
priced at parity with other Metrowerks embedded development tools."

It is impossible to foresee the consequences of being clever.
{Christopher Strachey}

2. Info request - unix pc

3. COMMERCIAL: Metrowerks CodeWarrior development tools for Linux

4. using dbx with C++

5. Metrowerks and SuSE Deliver Linux Development Tools

6. Patch Maintainence

7. Metrowerks Launches Linux(r) OS Development Tool Suite for Sharp Zaurus(tm) PDA

8. Eterm for Windows?

9. CodeWarrior Development tools for Embedded Linux

10. MetroWerks CodeWarrior Linux for Java and Jar files

11. Any thoughts on Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Solaris?

12. Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Solaris

13. C++ (Was: Win32 development tools vs UNIX development tools)