Where has the "Autodetect RAID partitions" option in the 2.3.x kernels gone?

Where has the "Autodetect RAID partitions" option in the 2.3.x kernels gone?

Post by Nigel Tampli » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just compiled the 2.3.32 kernel (moving up from 2.2.5), but when I
try and use it it
doesn't autodetect/run my RAID-1 partitions, which happens to be my root
fs, hence its unable to mount /.

I'm using make menuconfig and under "Block Devices" there used to be an
option called "Autodetect RAID partitions", this is no longer there.

Any ideas?

Nigel.

Where has the "Autodetect RAID partitions" option in the 2.3.x kernels gone?

Post by Peter Samuels » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm using make menuconfig and under "Block Devices" there used to be
> an option called "Autodetect RAID partitions", this is no longer
> there.

My guess is that you were not using 2.2.x, you were using 2.2.x with
Ingo Molnar's RAID patches.  Said patches (last I heard) have not been
fully ported to recent 2.3.x releases yet.  Ingo is working on it.

If you have data large-scale enough or important enough to use RAID on
it, you should be aware that certain recent 2.3.x releases will eat
that data for lunch.  I won't say which releases, because you can find
out by following the linux-kernel mailing list, which you should be
doing if you care about this sort of thing.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>