aic7xxx driver problem

Post by Hans-Joerg Fisch » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

While installing Linux 2.0.0, I found the following, well, let's name it "bug":

I am running linux on a 486-66 PC box with VLB/EISA busses and a AHA2742T as
SCSI Controller.
As you know, EISA supports two kinds of interrupts: level and edge triggered.
Level triggered interrupts allow sharing of IRQs and that is what the driver
is configured for by default. So far, so nice.
However, some boards (the old ones - like mine) have problems with this kind
of interrupt. So, after the IRQ mode has changed and the SCSI Bus has been
scanned, the systems fails with an ISR error. Bad!
The problem was how to install Linux with a kernel that permanently traps.
Once again I realized that there is no way to install a PC without having
another one next door. So, things ran fine after one day. However, since I do
know that I am not the only one having this kind of trouble, I would suggest
to change the default behaviour of the driver. If you really do share one IRQ
within your PC, then it should be easy to change things back after
installation.

CU

JF

--
Dieser Witz ist mittels Elektronischer Datenverarbeitung erstellt und ohne
Pointe gueltig.

Joerg Fischer

sMail: Werderstrasse 73 * 76137 Karlsruhe

1. AIC7xxx driver problem

When trying mke2fs:

aic7xxx: Target 0 underflow - wanted (at least) (15360) got(1024) count(3).
aic7xxx: Target 0 underflow - wanted (at least) (15360) got(1024) count(3).
aic7xxx: Target 0 underflow - wanted (at least) (15360) got(1024) count(3).
SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 18000000
Current error sd08:02: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Unrecoverred read error
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 800

These error messages go on for quite a while, giving the first line
many times with various values.

The controller is an Adaptec 2940 PCI.  The machine is a Gateway 2000
Pentium-133.  I've had this problem under both Linux 1.3.46 and
1.3.64.

I don't think it's a hardware problem, because Win95 (which was
shipped with the machine) talks to the drive just fine.

Is this a driver problem, or do I have something configured wrong?
Has anyone else had this problem?  Any info on this is appreciated!

--

http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/roth     |         cyberspace, Flame-Boy!"
 Chair, UIUC Linux Users' Group | Dilbert: "Step inside..."

2. A good backup system

3. new aic7xxx driver problems

4. HELP: Cyclades board (Cyclom 8Yo) and Modems

5. 2.4.3 kernel / new aic7xxx driver problem

6. ghostscript source with VGALIB support

7. aicasm: SIG 11 with 2.5.53 (new aic7xxx driver problem)

8. HELP!!!..S3 VIRGE/GX2 can't work...

9. : Problems with new aic7xxx driver

10. SCSI Tape Problem: AHA2940, aic7xxx driver

11. Compilation problem in 2.4.19: drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aicasm/aicasm_gram.y

12. PROBLEM: Won't compile new aic7xxx driver

13. problems with aic7xxx driver 6.1.11 (fwd)