SMP status?

Post by James Knowle » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I've look through every FAQ I can find, but can't find my answer.

I'm curious to know the status of SMP support under Linux?
Specifically, can it run reliably on a dual-processor PentiumPro
machine. (For the smart alecks, yes, *and* use both processors. :-)

Thanks alot.

SMP status?

]
] I'm curious to know the status of SMP support under Linux?
] Specifically, can it run reliably on a dual-processor PentiumPro
] machine. (For the smart alecks, yes, *and* use both processors. :-)

I have not been able to get good serial port performance (i.e.  Modem
throughput) or a reliable wall clock under SMP.  I have tried two
different motherboards.  Yes, I did enable the real time clock option
during the kernel build.  I've heard few others complain about this,
perhaps no one else uses an SMP machine as their internet connection?
--
David Fox            http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox            xoF divaD

SMP status?

Post by Phil Ro » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>during the kernel build.  I've heard few others complain about this,
>perhaps no one else uses an SMP machine as their internet connection?

        My Tyan Tomcat III which is a dual Pentium board works fine for
me.  I have no problems with serial connections or ppp.

                                                        -Phil

SMP status?

Post by Henry C. Bar » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:
: I have not been able to get good serial port performance (i.e.  Modem
: throughput) or a reliable wall clock under SMP.  I have tried two
: different motherboards.  Yes, I did enable the real time clock option
: during the kernel build.  I've heard few others complain about this,
: perhaps no one else uses an SMP machine as their internet connection?

    Running 2.0.30 on a Supermicro P6DNF with 2 PPro 200's. I have
    been fortunate to not have experienced either of these problems,
    although the clock problem seems to be common for other users.

--
Hank Barta                              White Oak Software Inc.

                Beautiful Sunny Winfield, Illinois

SMP status?

Post by David F » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

] :
] : I have not been able to get good serial port performance (i.e.  Modem
] : throughput) or a reliable wall clock under SMP.  I have tried two
] : different motherboards.  Yes, I did enable the real time clock option
] : during the kernel build.  I've heard few others complain about this,
] : perhaps no one else uses an SMP machine as their internet connection?
]
]     Running 2.0.30 on a Supermicro P6DNF with 2 PPro 200's. I have
]     been fortunate to not have experienced either of these problems,
]     although the clock problem seems to be common for other users.

I have tried both an Asus P65UP5 rev 1.2 and a Supermicro P6DNE
with dual PPro 150s with identical results.  Hmm.
--
David Fox            http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox            xoF divaD

SMP status?

Post by John A Eikenber » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: ] :
: ] : I have not been able to get good serial port performance (i.e.  Modem
: ] : throughput) or a reliable wall clock under SMP.  I have tried two
: ] : different motherboards.  Yes, I did enable the real time clock option
: ] : during the kernel build.  I've heard few others complain about this,
: ] : perhaps no one else uses an SMP machine as their internet connection?
: ]
: ]     Running 2.0.30 on a Supermicro P6DNF with 2 PPro 200's. I have
: ]     been fortunate to not have experienced either of these problems,
: ]     although the clock problem seems to be common for other users.

: I have tried both an Asus P65UP5 rev 1.2 and a Supermicro P6DNE
: with dual PPro 150s with identical results.  Hmm.

I have the Supermicro P6DNF as well (w/ 2 PPro 150's). I have no problems
with my clock or my ppp connection. In fact, it has been more stable than
my old Intel (1 P5-100) motherboard, I have yet to have any (hardware
related) problems.

--

John Eikenberry

 will deserve neither and lose both."
                                         --B. Franklin

1. apm + SMP - status?

  At one time it was held that SMP systems couldn't use apm. Since I
haven't seen anything about that in months, is there any change in that
status?

  Also, is there a tool to monitor my fan speed and box temps the way
the BIOS does? Seems like a reasonable thing to be able to track.

--

  When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty
*before* you let them go on the rides, and let them eat all the junk

2. Danish characters - danish keyboard

3. SMP status of Live! drivers?

4. tk anyone?

5. SMP Status on 3.0

6. IP Masquerade

7. Linux & SMP - Status?

8. Mini-Linux Help

9. Status of nmi_watchdog on AMD SMP systems

10. Q: SMP + APM status

11. status of smp?

12. AMD status map status update solved!

13. Couldn't open status file /var/lock/samba/STATUS....LCK