ftape4.02 with new kernel 2.2.5-15 (almost)

ftape4.02 with new kernel 2.2.5-15 (almost)

Post by Huib Wouter » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I tried to compile the ftape-4.xx driver for kernels
2.2.x and I had to do some hacking myself.

I only have a small problem now:

First I do:

/sbin/depmod -a

This should update the file /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/modules.dep

This file contains the lines:

/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o:
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/zftape.o: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o

So zftape.o depends on ftape.o.

Now I try to load these two modules:

/sbin/insmod ftape.o
/sbin/insmod zftape.o

about "unresolvved symbols". However, these symbolds ARE resolved since
these are present in ftape.o.

Anyone can help? What am I doing wrong when loading the modules?

Huib

  huib.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by bill davids » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

| This file contains the lines:
|
| /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o:
| /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/zftape.o: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o
|
| So zftape.o depends on ftape.o.
|
| Now I try to load these two modules:
|
| /sbin/insmod ftape.o
| /sbin/insmod zftape.o

| about "unresolvved symbols". However, these symbolds ARE resolved since
| these are present in ftape.o.
|
| Anyone can help? What am I doing wrong when loading the modules?

Using insmod. Try 'modprobe zftape' and see if all your problems go
away. Since there's a tool for loading dependent modules use it.

Note: if you still get missing symbols, they are really missing, or you
have the dependancies wrong.

--

  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like
the fountain of immaturity.

Post by Huib Wouter » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> | This file contains the lines:
> |
> | /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o:
> | /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/zftape.o: /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ftape.o
> |
> | So zftape.o depends on ftape.o.
> |
> | Now I try to load these two modules:
> |
> | /sbin/insmod ftape.o
> | /sbin/insmod zftape.o

> | about "unresolvved symbols". However, these symbolds ARE resolved since
> | these are present in ftape.o.
> |
> | Anyone can help? What am I doing wrong when loading the modules?

> Using insmod. Try 'modprobe zftape' and see if all your problems go
> away. Since there's a tool for loading dependent modules use it.

> Note: if you still get missing symbols, they are really missing, or you
> have the dependancies wrong.

> --

>   The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like
> the fountain of immaturity.

I tried using modprobe but I still get the missing symbols. I checked
the source of ftape.o and the symbols presumably missing are really
there.

  huib.vcf
< 1K Download

ftape4.02 with new kernel 2.2.5-15 (almost)

Post by Mikael Petterss » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I tried to compile the ftape-4.xx driver for kernels
>2.2.x and I had to do some hacking myself.

FYI: I have patches to integrate ftape-4.03pre2 into linux 2.2.10
and 2.3.6 at http://www.csd.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/ftape/.
See the README at that location.

Quote:>/sbin/insmod ftape.o
>/sbin/insmod zftape.o

>about "unresolvved symbols". However, these symbolds ARE resolved since
>these are present in ftape.o.

>Anyone can help? What am I doing wrong when loading the modules?

Update your /etc/conf.modules and then /sbin/modprobe zftape. It's in the docs.
--

Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

Post by bill davids » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

| > Note: if you still get missing symbols, they are really missing, or you
| > have the dependancies wrong.

| I tried using modprobe but I still get the missing symbols. I checked
| the source of ftape.o and the symbols presumably missing are really
| there.

Did you check that (a) the object contains the symbols (not dropped for
any ifdef or whatever), and (b) that the copy in
/lib/modules/{version}/misc/ftape.o is the same? Did a 'make
modules_install' get skipped, for example?

Oh, and was the kernel rebuilt when the module was added, and is it
being used for boot? I would be tempted to make everything over starting
with dep and clean, just to be sure everything is loaded. And if you
boot with lilo, you rerun that, of course.

I still think some part doesn't know the other has been changed, but I
don't have a great way to say which one.

--

  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like
the fountain of immaturity.

1. ftape4.02 with new kernel 2.2.5-15

I have upgraded from RedHat5.2 to RedHat6.0.

I cannot compile my ftape tools. I would like to read my old tapes!

I use kernel 2.2.5-15 (RedHat distribution), gcc version egcs-2.91.66
and ftape4.02.

Anyone managed to compile the ftape tools for kernel 2.2 ? What kernel
version and what compiler version did you use ?
--

  huib.vcf
< 1K Download

2. IPX/SPX and SCO

3. Compiling new kernel (2.2-15)

4. sendmail.cf

5. LILO booting error(L 02 02 02 02 02 - - - - )

6. How to restore LILO

7. !HLP getting a Promise ata controller to work with Kernel 2.2.14-15!

8. Silicom SPE card & SuSE

9. Can't get rid of the 2.2.6-15 kernel!

10. gcc problem compiling kernel-pmac 2.2.6-15.

11. Kernel update for Linux 2.2.5-15

12. Kernel 2.2.5-15 ppa module (Zip Disk) data corruption?

13. CORRECTION:S3 greyed in 2.2.5-15 Kernel Setup!!]]