Mounting Irix 5.3 cd on non-irix (linux) system?

Mounting Irix 5.3 cd on non-irix (linux) system?

Post by Pope Dubious Provenance » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've got the 5.3 installation cd, and would like to install the BSD printing
tools, but have hit a snag -- we have no CD on the one IRIX machine here.

The label on the disc says "Format: inst (filesystem)". I don't know if this
means it's an efs filesystem, or if there's actually a filesystem called
inst.

Whichever it is, does anyone know if any other os (particularly linux
or SunOS) can mount it? I've tried all the filesystems our linux knows
about, but I'm not averse to installing alpha/beta kernel support for
whatever it is if it would mean that I could mount the cd, nfs export
it, and install over the network...

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to call friends and see if I can borrow a
CD drive for the Indy.

Thanks much,

-Josh Larios
Organic Worker Drone

Post by Walter Robers » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

:I've got the 5.3 installation cd, and would like to install the BSD printing
:tools, but have hit a snag -- we have no CD on the one IRIX machine here.
:The label on the disc says "Format: inst (filesystem)". I don't know if this
:means it's an efs filesystem, or if there's actually a filesystem called
:inst.

EFS format.

:Whichever it is, does anyone know if any other os (particularly linux
:or SunOS) can mount it? I've tried all the filesystems our linux knows
:about, but I'm not averse to installing alpha/beta kernel support for
:whatever it is if it would mean that I could mount the cd, nfs export
:it, and install over the network...

No, neither SunOS nor Linux can mount it like you were thinking.

What you can do though is get a linux program 'efslook', which will
allow you to extract individual files from the CD. Look in the 'dist'
directory and load eoe2* : eoe2 eoe2.books eoe2.idb eoe2.man eoe2.sw
That'll total about 24 Mb. Copy those over to your SGI machine
to some directory, and  inst -f /that/directory

--

"NFS is the worst possible form of file sharing government (right after
all the others.)"

Mounting Irix 5.3 cd on non-irix (linux) system?

Post by Pope Dubious Provenance » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Thanks everyone who mailed and/or posted suggestions. Here's what worked for
me:

efsmod-0.6, available from sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/system/Filesystem
(I think)

It's a module that allows read-only access to an Irix efs filesystem. Since
I wanted to mount a cd, read-only was fine.

Other suggestions were:
        efslook, a program which allows read-only access, though not through
        the kernel

        copying /dev/cdrom to disk, and mounting that as a partition

I don't know if either of those would have worked, as efsmod worked the first
time out.

Also, I now notice that if I'd done a better search with altavista, I could
have come up with efsmod and efslook myself. Ah well, that's why I'm not a
reference librarian.

-Josh Larios
Organic Worker Drone

1. FBSD, IRIX 5.3, Macintosh HFS CDs lesen

It did work with the transmac demo (which is limited in filesize) on windows,
so this Macintosh HFS CR should also work with xhfs etc. But I cant "mount" it.
/dev/cd0c or /dev/rcd0c dont work.

hmount: /dev/rcd0c: size of medium indeterminable or empty (Input/output error)

H.

2. Sun SparcStation 2 free for worthy cause

3. Q: Can Linux read IRIX (5.3) filesystem?

4. "for i in" and variable assignments

5. Need Help Setting Up Irix 5.3 or linux as a Virtual Web Server

6. elm & metamail for MIME ?

7. Linux to Irix 5.3 backup

8. 101 Things you can do I Linux but not in DOS/Win

9. irix 5.3 and netsite 1.1

10. bug in IRIX 5.3 ksh?

11. Excite Search Engine 1.1 on irix 5.3

12. Apache--->Can't find htpasswd file/compiled for IRIX 5.3

13. HELP: NFS problem between IRIX 5.3 & SCO5