Linux keyboard mapping for backspace key and shift-tab

Linux keyboard mapping for backspace key and shift-tab

Post by Keith Tanne » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone had a need to change the keyboard mapping of the backspace key
(keycode 14) from Delete to BackSpace and/or the shift-tab (shift keycode
15) from Tab to some other key sequence (I used MetaTab).  I have written
my requests to some current ncurses and keyboard developers.  They are
afraid that changing the defkeymap.c file might cause more problems for
users than it would fix.  Currently I am having to use a sequence of
"dumpkeys" and "loadkeys" to fix my problem. I also had to do an
"infocmp" and "tic" of my linux TERMINFO file to make the associated
changes.  The keystroke-HOWTO was excellent in how to make these changes,
but my contention is that these should be a standard part of Linux.

Maybe if enough of us users are having the same problems with (keycode
14) and (shift keycode 15) we can get a better permanent fix for this.
If you agree with me on these suggestions please e-mail me so I can let
the powers that be know that there are others of us out there.

I am fairly new to posting to newsgroups, especially linux ones.  Is
there a better newgroup for issues like this?

Post by Andreas Kostyrka ( yac » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Maybe if enough of us users are having the same problems with (keycode
: 14) and (shift keycode 15) we can get a better permanent fix for this.
: If you agree with me on these suggestions please e-mail me so I can let
: the powers that be know that there are others of us out there.
Hmmm, I  don't agree, there  are  reasons for  generating Del on instead
of Control-H (or  should I  type C-h to make it  even clearer.)
So lets stay with the current implementation.

--
Andreas Kostyrka

Tel: +43/1/7077571
Tel: +43/664/3020166 (celluar)
Fax: +43/1/7070750
Fax: +43/1/5054924
IRC-nicks: yacc or/and lexer

Copyright 1995 Andreas Kostyrka.  Microsoft Network is prohibited from
redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part.  License to
distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000.  Posting without
permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.  Any network provider not
owned or funded in whole or in part by Microsoft may use this message freely.

1. How to change key map for tab key

Hi,

I have a Slackware Linux 7.1 machine and a WinNT4 machine with KEA! X Server
5.00 on it. When I connect with KEA! X to my linux machine my tab key works
as it is supposed to do in the login window (i.e. the focus is jumping from
one item to the next). As soon as I am logged in the tab key behaves like
the backspace key :-(
The KEA! keymap editor says it is sending 0x00ff09 with the tab key (scan
code 22)
Any idea how to solve this?

TIA

Holger

2. Using /usr/sbin/route to block range of IPs?

3. Shift Arrow keys not "Alt-Tabbing" in KDE

4. Syntax of sed command. Correct me please....

5. standardkeysym f/ shift-Tab?

6. Networking 2 home computers...

7. getting shift-tab to work with curses

8. Manual pages

9. xmodmap and <SHIFT-TAB>

10. why shift-tab doesn't work in MC ?

11. <SHIFT-TAB> in curses