Kernel 2.4.17 public symbol table format changed ?

Kernel 2.4.17 public symbol table format changed ?

Post by Jon Harriso » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:56:51

Hi,

I have just changed up to 2.4.17 from 2.4.4. and tried to rebuild my device
driver module however it fails to insmod, due to unresolved symbols.

/sbin/ksyms shows that the symbols are there, but the symbol table appears
to have symbolic version info rather than immediate numbers, which I think
is why the module fails to install.

2.4.4 /sbin/ksyms output

address::    Symbol::
0cfeeea3    disable_irq_R3ce6ca6f

2.4.17 /sbin/ksyms output

address::    Symbol::
0cfeeea3    disable_irq_R_ver_disable_irq

Am I doing something stupid during the Kernel compilation, or do I need a
newer version of modutils or something ??

Thanks,

Jon

Kernel 2.4.17 public symbol table format changed ?

Post by John Levo » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:24:09

Quote:> 0cfeeea3    disable_irq_R_ver_disable_irq

http://www.tux.org/lkml/
http://www.kernelnewbies.org/faq/

regards
john

Post by Lew Pitche » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:11:04

> Hi,

> I have just changed up to 2.4.17 from 2.4.4. and tried to rebuild my device
> driver module however it fails to insmod, due to unresolved symbols.

> /sbin/ksyms shows that the symbols are there, but the symbol table appears
> to have symbolic version info rather than immediate numbers, which I think
> is why the module fails to install.

> 2.4.4 /sbin/ksyms output

> address::    Symbol::
> 0cfeeea3    disable_irq_R3ce6ca6f

> 2.4.17 /sbin/ksyms output

> address::    Symbol::
> 0cfeeea3    disable_irq_R_ver_disable_irq

> Am I doing something stupid during the Kernel compilation, or do I need a
> newer version of modutils or something ??

FWIW, your 2.4.4 ksyms appear to indicate that the modules have been
compiled with module versioning enabled, while your 2.4.17 ksyms appear
to indicate that module versioning was disabled when the modules were
compiled.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

1. some 2.4.17 vs. 2.4.17-rmap8 vs. lowmem analysis

Yes, the rmap patch still has a known livelock. I haven't
quite tracked it down yet, but am looking into it whenever
I have the time.

regards,

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way:  irc.starchat.net  #swl

http://www.surriel.com/             http://distro.conectiva.com/

-

2. 'cdrecord' error!!??

3. Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/zoran.o: 2.4.17 kernel

4. Compatability?

5. Undefined symbol in nfsd.o kernel 2.4.17

6. sound card CD ROM interface

7. 2.4.17 - HIMEM option creates unresolved symbols for FS modules

8. Novice - need hlp looking for/changing group

9. Unresolved symbols in 2.4.17 over SiS module

10. 2.4.17-pre5 still not being nice with local symbols in discarded section .text.exit

11. Performance of 2.4.17-based Kernel vs 2.5.26-based Kernel Under Database Workload

12. Changes in s390x uaccess.h in 2.4.17+

13. Changing processor type causes module load errors, 2.4.17