When running a stable system like Linux there is no hurry to upgrade...

When running a stable system like Linux there is no hurry to upgrade...

Post by Bo Brante » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

  8:52pm  up 367 days, 11:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Linux 1.0.9

Post by Michael Johansso » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>   8:52pm  up 367 days, 11:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

> Linux 1.0.9

A long time ago I saw a post concerning a 400 days limit, because of
a 16 or 32 bit register. I might be wrong because this was a long
time ago.

/Michael

When running a stable system like Linux there is no hurry to upgrade...

Post by Robert Brockw » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: >

: >   8:52pm  up 367 days, 11:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

: > Linux 1.0.9

: A long time ago I saw a post concerning a 400 days limit, because of
: a 16 or 32 bit register. I might be wrong because this was a long
: time ago.

Apparently machines have had an overflow on the jiffie value and the
machines have stayed up, no problem.  I remember that long thread too.
Where everyone with huge uptimes posted it to the thread :-)
Cheers,
        -Robert

                   WWW:   http://student.uq.edu.au/~s316674
Computers: Can't live with them, can't play Quake without them.

Post by Martin Radfor » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> : >

> : >   8:52pm  up 367 days, 11:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

> : > Linux 1.0.9

> : A long time ago I saw a post concerning a 400 days limit, because of
> : a 16 or 32 bit register. I might be wrong because this was a long
> : time ago.

> Apparently machines have had an overflow on the jiffie value and the
> machines have stayed up, no problem.  I remember that long thread too.
> Where everyone with huge uptimes posted it to the thread :-)
> Cheers,
>    -Robert

AFAIR, once this started becoming an issue Linus made changes to the
way timeouts work in the kernel to ensure that overflowing jiffies
wouldn't cause any problems.  I think it was luck of the draw as to
whether or not you got affected, since I seem to recall reading of one
person who had no trouble, and one whose machine hung.  But I think it
should be OK now

Martin
(Sorry for the late follow-up, I have a poor newsfeed.)
--

ICBM://50.72N/3.52W                  |
"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff

1. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

Newsgroupies

    Step 1: Install OpenLinux 1.1 "Lite"

    Step 2: Configure & tweak everything

    Step 3: Install about 300 meg of files

    Step 4: Discover that nearly everything you want to do requires RH
5.2, not RH 4.2 which is what OL 1.1 is.

The actual problem I'm up against right now is when I try to install DBI
the 'perl Makefile.PL' says everything's okay, then 'make' claims it
can't find dozens of common C header files like stdlib.h, in.h,
params.h, etc. So I start installing gcc-2*.rpm and its dependencies
over and over again, then finding the h files it emits and copying them
into the directory 'makefile' seems to be looking at.

I have no stdio.h on the box. I thought Linux came with a complete C
compiler built-in.

I'm going to get OpenLinux 1.3 and try to refresh my install. This
should give me a clean image with the correct configurations, and just
maybe I'l get a viable stdio.h.

On a Real Computer, the OS install program does not insist on wiping out
the hard drive. Caldera's installer is going to require I reformat.

How do I upgrade the install without reformatting the drive? I don't
think I'l want to mount the CD, go to its RPMS directory, and call
'rpm -U *.rpm'. That's just going to research the existing (bad)
configuration and then screw it up more, right?

Any hints welcome. Like hopefully before I start.

  --  Phlip at politizen dot com                  (address munged)

2. ipfw and sysctl under 2.2.7-R

3. Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

4. how to write an alias for this

5. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

6. alt.fan.western.digital.is.ok.but.burn.ontrack

7. Upgrade from 2.1-Stable to 2.2-Stable

8. Linux :The Prefect Operating Sytem

9. Cant find errno.h while upgrading 3.1-stable (to 3.1-stable)

10. 3-Stable -> 4-Stable upgrade using cvsup possible?

11. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

13. Error message running NFS - I'm in a hurry :(