EZ-BIOS and 2.1.132 Errors

Post by Jeremy Kip » Sat, 26 Dec 1998 04:00:00

    I have a 10GB Maxtor 2500 plus using EZ-BIOS  and Linux 2.0.36.  It
works great.
    I just tried to use the development kernel and I get the error:

    Kernel Panicing: cannot access the root partition.

I've gone through the install procedure three times now (this is not a
case of RTFD)   I suspect that the development kernel cannot
interoperate with EZ-BIOS as the 2.0.36 can.  However, I find that hard
to believe.  Does the development kernel offer support for EZ-BIOS?  Is
there another answer?

Jeremy Kipp

1. Patritioning WD 8.4 GB drive and Linux and EZ-Drive/EZ-Bios

Hi

I just installed a Western Digital 8.4 GB drive on my Micron machine
with a Micronics M54Hi motherboard as the second drive.  This has the
PhoenixBIOS 4.04 which cannot support disks larger than 7.8 GB.  There
is a BIOS (v5.05) upgrade available from Micro Firmware but for $79!  I
installed the WD EZ-Drive software and it partitioned the drive in 4
with about 2.1 GB per partition.  I can see these partitions OK in Win95
(though I do have a spurious E: drive that cannot be accessed).

In Linux (RedHat 4.1 - yes, part of the reason of getting the new drive
was to upgrade to RH5.2), fdisk sees only the first partition of the hard
drive (as /dev/hdb1 with about 2.1GB) with the rest of the drive seen as one
partition with unknown type.  If I use linux fdisk to partition the disk
in what I _think_ is the same partitions as EZ-Drive used then Win95 sees
the first partition but cannot read the other three.  Repartitioning the
drive with EZ-Drive causes the original problem (i.e. can only see the two
partitions in Linux).

I know Western Digital claims that EZ-Drive does not support Unix but
the Large Disk mini-HOWTO claims that Linux will work with EZ-Drive.  I
seem to be almost there.  Has anyone got this working or have any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Leslie Groer

2. Apache_1.1.1 and frontpage1.1 problem

3. 7248-132 (43P-132) <-- Is it worth a processor upgrade ??

5. IBM RS6000 43P-132 BIOS RESET

6. more than 256 Colors with Sis 530

7. EZ-BIOS?

8. logging Unix sessions

9. EZ-BIOS and LILO

10. REPOST:ez-bios w/loadlin w/_umsdos.gz

11. EZ-BIOS and hard disk upgrade?

12. ez-bios w:loadlin w:_umsdos.gz

13. EZ-Bios & Big Disk