Loopback speed = eth0 speed !?!?!?

Post by Rob Har » Sun, 08 Jan 1995 13:35:16

I'm lost here... Isn't the loopback device supposed to give speeds
much faster that the ethernet card?

If I tcpspray a machine on our network and then tcpspray localhost or
our machine name I get about the same performance. Sun gave fast lo
response I believe. What is holding back our lo?

Robert Hardy  Voice|Data:(613)226-(2326|8665)  CCS Computer Consultant

              "Linux the Choice of a GNU Generation!"

1. Speed..Speed..Speed

Am currently running a K6-2 300Mhz processor with 128Mb of 100 Mhz
memory and considering
upgrading to a faster board and processor. I am pursuing a project which
will require scads of floating point
calculations on large arrays..the results of which are written back out
to disk..about 500 Mbytes worth.
So I'm looking at the new high end processors..PII/PIII and discover
this PII Xeon chip.

Does anyone have any experience with this chip? It very expensive..about
$900. A dual Xeon board from
SuperMicro with both processors runs over $2000. So how much faster is
this chip?  Intel's web site
says it has a 512K L2 cache (even more expensive versions have 1Mb and
2Mb cache) which runs
at PROCESSOR SPEED .. 400 Mhz in this case. The comparable PII-400 chip
has a smaller(?) L2 cache
which runs at 1/2 chip speed. The comparable AMD K6-2 400 chip has a 1Mb
L2 cache but it is off chip
and accessed by the 100 Mhz bus.

So there you have it. Is the Xeon really worth double the PII price or
triple the K6-2 price?
As far as I can see.. the main difference is the L2 cache speed. Has
anybody seen any benchmarks
on this chip vis-a-via "comparable chips?

Jim M.

2. hostname in a IRIX machine

3. chip speed in multiples of bus speed

4. newbee question

5. Clustering - Network Speed vs Local Bus Speed

6. Torn between 2 VGA cards !!!!!

7. download speed is faster than upload speed with ftpd+term?

8. can't open a 0600 file using ifstream

9. Matching getty speed to dial-in speed

10. Advice forOptimal Matching of CPU speed to FSB speed

11. How to match mb bus speed and ram speed?

12. Checking speed of dual speed network card

13. download speed is faster than upload speed with ftpd+term?