Help find Aliens: can the standard AIC-7899 driver be used to DMA from SCSI drive to physical memory

Help find Aliens: can the standard AIC-7899 driver be used to DMA from SCSI drive to physical memory

Post by Mark Galeck » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 04:26:44

Hello,

(I am sorry this is similar to a separate post to comp.os.linux.hardware,
where it is getting no responses.  I should have cross-posted at once)

I want to move data by DMA from a SCSI drive raw partitions, using AIC-7899
SCSI controller to certain physical memory addresses, under Linux kernel
2.2.18.  The DMA bursts should be large and should end on a 256-byte
boundary, so you see I want to have fine control over the transfers.

I don't think this can be directly done with the Linux standard distribution
driver for AIC-7899, so I think I may have to modify the driver, but I am
not sure.

Can/should the AIC-78xx driver in the standard Linux kernel be used for
that?

If we have to modify the driver, how to get documentation for that Adaptec
AIC-7899?  We have it on the Intel motherboard, but both Adaptec and Intel
are refusing any detailed documents.  What documentation was used to write
the Linux driver in the standard distribution??

By the way, this is for a wonderful non-for-profit project: the new
Search System for SETI (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence).

Mark Galecki

1. Help find aliens: documentation and DMA ability of AIC-7899 SCSI

Hello,

I am trying to get documentation for Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI chip.  All
I found was a 2-page document on Adaptec web-site, and Adaptec support
claim they have nothing else.  Obviously a bigger manual must exist.
Where?

In particular, I want to see how to move data by DMA from the SCSI
drive raw partitions, using AIC-7899 to system memory.  The DMA bursts
should be large and should end on a 256-byte boundary, so you see I
want to have fine control over the transfers.

I don't think this can be directly done with the Linux standard
distribution driver for AIC-7899, so I think I may have to modify the
driver, but I am not sure.

Does anybody know if the standard driver can/should be used for that?

By the way, this is for a wonderful non-for-profit project: the new
Search System for SETI (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence).

Mark Galecki

2. Printing PostScript: Win95 -> FreeBSD -> Samba -> GS -> HP LJIII

3. how to enable AIC-7899 to support RAID?

4. Framemaker under Linux?

5. how to enable AIC-7899 RAID support?

6. termcap 2.0.8 package install problem !

7. Dell poweredge 2450, adaptec 7899 scsi controller, setting up raid

8. QIC tape drive recommendation?

9. Pointer to Physical memory for use with DMA?

10. Help! How to find out physical memory size??

11. Can I do memory-memory DMA using Intel 85C406?

12. Adaptec 7899 host adapter and Linux 2.4.4

13. Virtual / Physical memory address access in drivers ? help ?