Is Linux a Real-Time OS?

Post by Srikanth Ra » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

What is a real-time os?
Is it an OS that queues the messages and have a certain time bound
within which the message will be serviced?

In that case, can Linux do it?

Is Linux a Real-Time OS?

Post by Alexander Vi » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What is a real-time os?
>Is it an OS that queues the messages and have a certain time bound
>within which the message will be serviced?

>In that case, can Linux do it?

No. It's a timesharing kernel, not an RT one. If you need RT based on
Linux code - check RTLinux.

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

Is Linux a Real-Time OS?

Post by Tim Robert » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>What is a real-time os?
>Is it an OS that queues the messages and have a certain time bound
>within which the message will be serviced?

By my definition, a real-time operating system is one which provides
guaranteed interrupt latencies, and a way to for a process to get a
guaranteed time-slice (that is, "I must run for 10ms every 40ms).

Quote:>In that case, can Linux do it?

No.  It is good enough in many cases, but there are no guarantees.  If
injury or damage may be caused by an unexpected delay, Linux is not the
answer.
--

  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Is Linux a Real-Time OS?

Post by Grant Edwar » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>>What is a real-time os?
>>Is it an OS that queues the messages and have a certain time bound
>>within which the message will be serviced?

>By my definition, a real-time operating system is one which provides
>guaranteed interrupt latencies, and a way to for a process to get a
>guaranteed time-slice (that is, "I must run for 10ms every 40ms).

>>In that case, can Linux do it?

>No.  It is good enough in many cases, but there are no guarantees.  If
>injury or damage may be caused by an unexpected delay, Linux is not the
>answer.

There is RT Linux, which runs a real-time kernel that handles
the hard-core real-time stuff and runs the Linux kernel in its
"spare" time.  Haven't tried it yet, but plan to...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  WHOA!! Ken and
                                  at               Barbie are having TOO

1. Seeking OEM/embedded real-time OS for Intel (or other) architectures

[Please note: this message is crossposted to a number of groups. I am
hoping someone with an interest in OS's might have an answer to my
question. If you post a follow-up, please consider its relevance to the
groups, and trim the newsgroups lines if appropriate. Thanks.]

I am looking for an embedded operating system, for real-time control of a
communications oriented computer. The system must be:

real-time (can do interrupt processing)
preemptive multi-tasking, with thread prioritization
provide full protected memory management per process
(hopefully) provide object security and access control lists
(hopefully) provide a file system, preferably journaled or otherwise fault
tolerant
(hopefully) provide communications and networking primitives or drivers
(hopefully) be for sale (i.e., source code)

My emphasis is on robustness, and small footprint. I need something lean
and mean, yet able to control a computer of approximately the power and
capacity of current desktops (without the user interface stuff).

I am particularly interested in something designed for the Intel x86
architecture, but will consider other architectures. I am not too keen on
the x86 for proprietary control, but it is nice for other reasons (tools,
prototyping, available I/O cards/devices, etc.)

Also, if anyone can think of any other resources, on-line or off, I might
want to look into, to try to source such a product, (or to help me design
one if necessary -- any good texts??), please let me know.

(A copy by e-mail would be appreciated, but I will try to keep my eyes out
on these groups.)

Thanks in advance, for any information.

--
Brad Aisa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

2. sunsite at the University of North Carolina

3. Choosing a real-time OS - SUMMARY and a Question

4. sfs takes longer to start after configuring rpc only dce

5. Choosing a real-time OS for interesting prj - advice needed

6. How to list block size?

7. Real-Time OS

8. (Poll) Will Psion ever release hardware docs for the series 7 and netBook?

9. "Real-Time" Time Display in Console

10. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

11. Mixed Time-Share & real-Time scheduling

12. real-time vs. user-time

13. Real-time (RT) process slipping time - any ideas?