fdisk /dev/hda2 ... Oops

Post by Mike Hombe » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

I have 2 ide drives.
hda has 3 partitions dos os2 and a second dos partition.
hdb is going to be linux.

I now know what I did wrong. I ran fdisk on /dev/hda2 when I meant /dev/hdb.
I was rather careless because I did not care what was on the second drive.

- I ran fdisk under os2 and created 3 partitions for linux on drive 2.
- Booted linux and ran fdisk /dev/hda2 (big mistake)
- fdisk reported 3 partitions - lots of warnings about non aligned sectors
- I changed the partitions to linux-native and linux-swap
- setup could not see them (now I know why)
- ran fdisk again on hda2. deleted the three partitions and created 3 new
  partitions (aligned to sectors, maybe?)
- setup still can't see them
- I wakeup and realize what I had done.
- I no longer can boot dos or os2.

Question:
- What exactly did fdisk do to /dev/hda2?
- Is there any way for me to recover from this or have I completely lost
  drive 1?

--
Mike Homberg    Stratus Computer,  Marlboro MA   (508) 460-2713

fdisk /dev/hda2 ... Oops

Post by Mark Lo » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

>I now know what I did wrong. I ran fdisk on /dev/hda2 when I meant /dev/hdb.
>Question:
>- What exactly did fdisk do to /dev/hda2?

It overwrote the first ("boot") sector of partition /dev/hda2.
The original /dev/hda partition table is probably still intact.
If you had a filesystem on /dev/hda2, it may or may not be useable.
--

For the latest Linux kernel: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.2
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide

1. fdisk /dev/hda2 ... Oops

[...]

2. Name resolution and DHCP

3. Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

4. webserver distro

5. accessing /dev/hda3 files from /dev/hda2 -- help!

6. Any Video CD applications?

7. Copying filesystem from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda1

8. how to have the size of the term ?

9. win95 fdisk - linux fdisk /dev/hdc

10. fdisk gurus pls:fdisk cant find /dev/hda

11. mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt/

12. Can I use mmap() with /dev/hda2?

13. HD TIME OUT, when "mke2fs -c /dev/hda2 SIZE"